Breeding Harlequin Rasboras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My harliquen has been pregnant for a bit now and I think she is ready
Here she is :

image-2893021514.jpg

image-2304565239.jpg

I know it does not look like it but she really is and at the minute she is not darting around with the other two

So my question is I have a spare breeder with Molly babies in there this big...

image-67367369.jpg

Theres one I know it's really unclear:

image-1892648860.jpg

So would it be worth putting the harliquen in there or something? I know the fry would probably eat the eggs and all but I was just thinking? Anyways I could save them?

Rasbora's don't get pregnant. Your fish could be plump with eggs, but they are not fertilized. If you put her in a breeding net/box, you will just stress her out. In order to spawn, rasboras need both genders present, so isolating her won't help you. If you want them to spawn you can condition them with live foods.
Harlequin rasbora - Trigonostigma heteromorpha
Here is one article that touches on breeding harlies. There are a good handful of others out there too that give more info, though, they are not knowing for being especially easy to get to spawn successfully.
If you do get them to spawn, you can pull eggs out of the main tank so protect them from predation though if you have species that will eat eggs.

What do the eggs looks like?
So they release them on plants?
Will they be easy to see?
I have the males in the tank, with a really soft temp at 26 degrees why would they not release the eggs?
If they do come could I get the eggs in a jug with water from the original tank? just while there hatching then I would put them in the fry tank with the Molly's would that be ok?

Thank I really appreciate the help!

Yes, they generally stick them onto the bottom of plant leaves, and the prefer broad leafed plants. They should be relatively easy to see if you are looking in the right place, especially since a mass of them will likely be there.
Rasboras are not one of the easier fish to breed. So, there could be any number of reasons why they are not spawning. Also, it is possible that they are spawning and all the eggs just get eaten.
It helps to keep the water nice and clean, and condition the fish with live foods. Eggs need aeration, so a jug might not be the best idea. You can do a bucket with an air stone though or something similar if you do not have access to another tank. They would probably be ok with molly fry if the fry were small enough. IME, mollies are pretty voracious eaters, so you would have to keep an eye on how big the mollies are to make sure they don't swallow harly fry.
Keep in mind, harlies are known to be a bit finicky about spawning, so don't hold your breath and don't take it personally if you cannot get them to spawn. If you are really serious about wanting to breed them, you would be best off with a couple of grow-out tanks solely for these fish. If you just have fish in your tank that look like they could spawn and you are curious, then just do your best with what you have and let it ride.
That is about the best advice I have for right now. If somebody else with experience with this particular species spawning reads this, I am sure they will chime in with more complete info. :)

These are my plants are they any good?

image-3859420824.jpg

I have no airstones but is there any way I can make one?
Thanks for the help
I haven't got a bucket for aquariums so I will have. to use a jug if I get a result. Is air essential?

Again thanks for help I really appreciate it!!!!

I am just going by what I researched. So, if anybody has better info, feel free to hop in!
They seem to prefer broad leafed plants, like swords or Anubias plants.
The airstone wouldn't be necessary if you had a filter. But, eggs do need water movement and aeration. No, just live plants would not be good enough for that.

Ok thanks sorry for my impatience, these are my first eggs! I have a spare really powerful filter but it might be to powerful for the jug. The only bucket I have the one used when your not to good if you know what I mean!

Back
Top Bottom