breeding less common guppy strains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've established a relationship with my LFS to give me store credit for my red guppies. They told me if I can get any less common strains in they'd try them out. I was thinking about some purple moscows and black moscows. Is anyone in a similar situation? The moscow strains are pretty expensive for me to acquire so not sure if it would be worth it. Just wanted to bounce ideas/experiences with guppies.

My LFS gave me a good deal on what I have currently was just kinda wondering how much of market there is for more expensive guppies, if its worth the time and effort. If I can get the fish to pay for themselves I'd be happy. Right now that's happening. Just not sure how all in I want to go with another strain.

I feel like black moscows wouldn't sell as purple moscows mainly because no one has purple fish... I think a good idea might be to scout out some good deals on aquabid. I traded my last batch of baby guppies in for plants at my LFS

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I thought about trying both strains. The blacks my LFS wants because his wholesaler will only sell him males. And the purples- I agree, no one has these. I did see some nice ones on Aquabid.

Purples are higher in the price range as well. If you want some really high quality moscows, go check out qualityguppies.com, they are expensive, but their fish are quality.

Or you could try el salto or blue star endlers.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

There are some very nice endlers out there. You don't see them a lot in my area so not sure of the market. I'll look into it tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Endlers are roundtails are typically easier to selectively breed, and there is usually less culls

So I'm waiting for some HB yellows and some full red bodied guppies to arrive. The reds are to improve my line and the yellows were at a good price. :D

Any body on this thread actually maintain a strain?? I heard it takes a minimum of four tanks to keep one going on. I'm going to use my display tank for the breeders... I'm thinking maybe a 5 g for females, 5g for the males, and maybe a 10g grow out tank for the fry??? I wanna make a really cool snakeskin strain... Trouble is... No snakeskin a yet!

I'm trying to maintain a full red strain, not the albino reds though. I'm also going to maintain the half-black yellows. Looking for another breeder that has some nice ones to cross with the stock I'm getting on Thursday. I'm redoing my fish area tomorrow. I'm going to use 10's and 20 longs for the guppies. I have 5 tanks of reds right now and I need new blood in that line.

Any body on this thread actually maintain a strain?? I heard it takes a minimum of four tanks to keep one going on. I'm going to use my display tank for the breeders... I'm thinking maybe a 5 g for females, 5g for the males, and maybe a 10g grow out tank for the fry??? I wanna make a really cool snakeskin strain... Trouble is... No snakeskin a yet!

I'm maintaining dwarf panda guppies currently with 3 tanks, but that could be taken down to one if I didn't want to raise the fry seperately

I'm maintaining dwarf panda guppies currently with 3 tanks, but that could be taken down to one if I didn't want to raise the fry seperately

Yeah but you've gotta raise the fry separate! Or they will get eaten lol.

If you have enough cover, fry in tank can be done, I have had a few grow up in the tank that I couldn't get out.

I usually am not removing fry or parents and I have 5 tanks of the same kind. I feed really well and a variety of foods so they don't all get eaten.

I usually am not removing fry or parents and I have 5 tanks of the same kind. I feed really well and a variety of foods so they don't all get eaten.

Not even when they are first born? You must have a lot of plant cover

Back
Top Bottom