Breeding mollies for sale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone bred and raised mollies for sale or otherwise?
If so, I'm wondering if you have noticed different strains of mollies grow and develop at a different rate than others.
My Creamsicle mollies developed a gonopodium at around 6 wks where as I have yet to see a defined male Dalmatian Molly among my 11 wk olds. Both the Creamsicle and Dalmatian females are pregnant and became so at approx 6-7 wks. Could it be that among my Dalmatian batch the males weren't strong enough to survive? Or the mother Dalmatian threw mostly females? I have two batches of Dalmatian and one batch of Creamsicle in a 20g L and one batch of Dalmatian are strong, big and are mostly pregnant females. There are about 25-30 left from the original 43 born. In the other batch of Dalmatian half of them are growing large and the other half are quite small... 1/3 the size of their siblings. In that batch there are also about 25 out of approx 40 born.
The Creamsicle batch has approx 15 out of 25 born. However, there are definite males as well as a few pregnant females. The others are tiny and 1/3 the size of siblings.
Could it be that somehow the males arent surviving as well as females are? What would cause this? I can't imagine how with the older larger Dalmatian group they have all/almost all females.

Any ideas? I must say the few defined Creamsicle males are having a blast with their supply of females!!

Help please :)

This could be myth but I have heard temperatures and conditions can have an effect on what sex your fry batches throw up.

Saying that it's not unusual for them to develop a gonopodium later.

So if I look and pay attention to who isn't noticeably pregnant, those ones could be males even though they appear female?
It's so difficult ... Ha. :)
When I look things up online all I find is other info on rearing fry and pregnant fish...

IME my batches developed at different rates even from the same female. My males often look female til around 12-13week then their anal fin starts to get pointy.

I'm pretty positive all these females that are pregnant have met the few distinguished Creamsicle males lol
I'll be so excited for the few leaner mollies who aren't pregnant to show their gonopodiums...
My friends think I'm nuts so I don't even bother discussing with them anymore. :)

Haha I get the same with my guppies. I have just had my first lyretail babies develop the tail and when I try explaining this to my friends they think I'm mad!

Back
Top Bottom