Breeding money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
What fish would make you the most money, yet still be easy to breed?

Just curious. I've always wondered this. Never bred anything though.

Loukas42 said:

Although I am rather new to the breeding scene, it's been my experience that you don't make much money. It depends though, if you are selling them on the Internet to people you could have a chance. Personally, I have just been able to trade in some of my fry for fish supplies at the local fish store.

Loukas42 said:

That's a tough question. It depends on your market. Plus, generally speaking, easy to breed stuff like livebearers are in less demand because, well, everyone can breed them.

Unfortunately unless you had a huge pond or single system with multiple Ideal tanks for breeding. It is nearly impossible to make a profit... Always exceptions but My wife and I breed all sorts but it's always to "help" support our addition. And it's never easy!!

Farming corals can bring a few dollars if you do it right but again not easy and some technique's are frowned upon.

Geos always seem to sell quick and breed fairly easily. The only downside is you have to have pretty big tanks for them which limits your market a bit.

I've bred and sold guppies and kribs, guppies were the easiest to breed but pretty much break even after you factor food/time/energy wasted. Kribs I could get a bit more for at the LFS but again, raising the fry to a state that they will buy them at costs money.

What are geos,not to hijack the thread but I've never heard of them??

Geophagus... they are a species of cichlid. Commonly called earth-eater cichlids. I've got 5 Geophagus tapajos (orange heads) that I'm growing out right now. The guy I got them off of sells his geos for around $10-15 per fish depending on the species/size.

Anne on here actually got me hooked on them. I saw her geo tank from years ago and instantly fell in love with them. They were always on my dream fish list but never had the room for a big tank. The new house solved that problem. ;)

They have large broods but again, take some time to grow out. I got mine when they were 1.5-2" long back in the beginning of February. They are over 4" long now, some over 5". When you factor the amount of food I have had to feed these little pigs I can't imagine how people make a profit.

Browse around on the internet, look at stuff that people are always asking for, look for stuff that has a high price tag. Figure out what is desirable and rare, by this, it's usually some kind of uncommon strain of an already popular fish.

Also, just because something is rare doesn't mean that it's desirable.

And finally, price is important, to get started with a rare strain it's going to take a decent investment and then some luck to get a good breeding method down. Zebra plecos are a good example, they are awesome and everyone wants one, but only a few people are willing to pay $150-200 for one. But then there are leopard frog peckoltia plecos which people also love, and more people are willing to pay the $15-25 price tag.

Loukas42 said:

Crayfish are very ez to get started and there is mad money in breading the blue and white crayfish... They grow very fast and you only need a 29g tank for a set. Ive got about 50 off one clutch without trying imagine if I really tried when they have about 300 per clutch... Have fun an good luck... Hit me up if you have questions

Crayfish you say? Hmm what size tank do you need to keep the Clutch as you called it?

Loukas42 said:
Crayfish you say? Hmm what size tank do you need to keep the Clutch as you called it?

You only need a 29g tank and I feed mine wardley shrimp pellets you just have to keep you tank clean and If you don't French then once a day they will start eating each other

try to find an expensive strain of guppy,and sell them for like a third the price of most stores. you'd still make money,and you'd get more business

Back
Top Bottom