breeding my guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have 3 males and 3 females all in a 10 gallon together, i was wondering how to go about breeding them?

They do it all by themselves!! Im not sure about guppies but with mollies that would be too many males to female ratio.

aquabeast said:
i have 3 males and 3 females all in a 10 gallon together, i was wondering how to go about breeding them?

Way to many males. You should only have 2 males for 3 females. Also with breeding get lots of bushy plants and raise the temp 1-4 degrees.

It's harder to not breed guppies than it is to breed them. I started with two pairs and I've probably got a hundred and I've sold twice that many. Give them water and food and you'll have baby guppies soon. Floating or bushy plants will give the fry some hiding spots.

I agree with the others, you should have a 3 females to everyone male.

They'll already be pregnant.

Floating plans work best for protecting guppy fry, definitely.

Yes. The gender ratio isn't HUGELY important. It just means your females will be bothered quite constantly, while less males = theoretically an equal distribution of time the male spends pestering each, giving the others a break.

Honestly, unless there is some bizarre situation here, your females will already be pregnant. Females can store sperm too, so a male could breed once and the female could have 3 sets of fry without having sex with the male again.

Your female guppies will be pregnant already. Look out for a black spot appearing where their belly meets their tail:

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/guppies/gravid.jpg

As such. At best, babies in 21 days, most common is around 28 days though. Warmer temperatures, better food and water parameters will improve the overall pregnancy.

Honestly, unless there is some bizarre situation here, your females will already be pregnant. Females can store sperm too, so a male could breed once and the female could have 3 sets of fry without having sex with the male again.

Your female guppies will be pregnant already. Look out for a black spot appearing where their belly meets their tail:

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/guppies/gravid.jpg

As such. At best, babies in 21 days, most common is around 28 days though. Warmer temperatures, better food and water parameters will improve the overall pregnancy.

The black spot is called a Gravid Spot.

In my 55 gal I have maybe 10 females, they're always pregnant and always have a gravid spot. Remember to not segregate any pregnancy ones too early. They serioulsy swell up, they're ready to give birth when they basically look like they're gonna pop.

0d_1_b_7.jpg

What has been said is mostly true. Warmer temps will shorten gestation time, and assuming clean water, will also result in faster growth rates. It will, however, result in shorter lifespans. guppies do well a normal room temps. I would never heat a guppy tank. Cooler temps result in higher dissolved oxygen, lower bacteria numbers, and longer lifespan.
Planting hornwort is a waste of time. It will not root and the bottoms will rot away. It is a great floating plant for livebearers and with it's fast growth rate is an excellent plant for removing nitrate from the water.

My guppy gave birth Monday night and after most of the fish went on a feeding frenzy....seems all the big fish are bored with guppy babies on the menu, so now I have about 10 swimming in there and the other fish not even in the mood to go chasing after them.......for now ;-)

Back
Top Bottom