Breeding neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 Gal adult fish/5 Gal fry
How would u do it? I know they lay eggs but would you put the mother in the fry tank? I'm a bit clueless about breeding neons but have bred mollies

Also what are the easiest to breed out of these and how

Rummy
Molly
Guppy
Harliquen
Glow light
Platys

Other suggestions would be great

Sorry about putting ALL the questions on at once!!

How would u do it? I know they lay eggs but would you put the mother in the fry tank? I'm a bit clueless about breeding neons but have bred mollies

Rummy
Molly
Guppy
Harliquen
Glow light
Platys

Idk about breeding neons...

It's go
Guppy
Molly or platy
Glow light
Rummynoses
Harliquen

Rummy
Molly
Guppy
Harliquen
Glow light
Platys

If they are fully grown all you have to do is condition them with good live food for two to three week introduce extra water changes one 20% water change every two days will be perfect then you either need marbles in the bottom of the tank or a very fine net splitting the tank in half. This is so that once the conditioning works and they spawn the eggs will fall through the water into the gaps in the marbles where they are safe or through net same thing. This is because the parents will eat then no matter what unlike a lot of other fish they do not release a hormone when spawning which takes away all hunger so they don't eat the fry. Just make sure you spot the spawning signs and see the eggs so that you can take the parents out right away :) hope I've helped my info is based on information given by other breeders and the easiest ways I've found that have worked :) cheers!

Thanks so much for all the advice
I have heard about spawning mops are they any good?

Spawning mops offer the same thing but aren't as effective with tetras as they just spray the eggs on the bottom of the tank in a large area they work best with fish that will actually attach the eggs to the mop then you can remove the mop or the parents. If you use a mop it will cause more problems and you don't even know if the tetra will spray the eggs anywhere near the mop and even if they do spray all over it and nowhere else then if you don't see it you won't know and the parents will eat the eggs almost straight away!

Thanks what kind of fish do u use the mop for

Killi fish are the classic choice to use a mop with as they lay there eggs on reeds in the wild so they enjoy laying them on the mop :) there's many others but this is the most blatant.

Back
Top Bottom