Breeding paradise fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kione

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I bought a breeding pair from a private home. I put them in a tank, no filter and fliating plants. There gave been plenty of bubble nests, but mo eggs for over a week... I wonder when do I just give up and turn the filter back on?
It is also making me doubt if they are actually male and female? Would they build a nest if they where both male?
Any answer will be greately apreciated.
Thanks!

IMO a male would kill the other male before or shortly after making the bubble nest.
You should clearly be able to see the size difference in the female after she expels the eggs.
Does she look plump?
How do they treat each other?
How long have they been in tank together(with you)?
Did you separate them at all to condition them?

I have been breeding my pearl gouramis lately but never paradise fish before, so I hope they are similar.
They are both bubble nest builders.

Hi thanks for your reply!
Answering your questions:
I didn't sepparate them
They've been in the tank for 10 days
She does not look plump
There do kind of circle each other and show the fins etc.
I thought the might not fight as they where born at the same time... Maybe that is just silly tho

If she does not look plump then is not holding eggs IMO.
Are you feeding them good quality food to build them up(condition them)?
Are you sure you have a female?
Do you know how to tell for sure yourself?
I separate my gouramis after spawning and then introduce them again in a species only 'dorm' type tank with others to hang out for a while.
If you have two tanks placing them side by side can drive them into wanting to spawn more possibly(another part of conditioning them).

I am feeding them flakes and dried worms.
I have two tanks but can't put them side by side :(
I am not absolutly sure they are male and female, I was told so. But I do have a female on the other tank, shall I swap the females?
Thanks again!

Possibly switching females may work.
A divider in the tank can used to separate the original pair and aid in conditioning.
Which ever one spawns she will need to be removed after to the other tank.

I will try switching females then, as yes I knew I had to separate the spawning female.
Are the pair ok in the unfiltered tank then?
Thanks for all the advice

I run a very slow sponge filter driven by air in my breeding tank and use prime to deal with nutrients when I can't change water.
The sponge filter helps and may be a food source for fry.
The prime converts ammonia and nitrites making the water safe.
Water changes are great when possible but once you have a nest of=r fry water changes maybe more damaging then good?

Ah right, I might try gentle water changes then and add prime.

I would also try live or frozen food. I prefer live black worms. They are very easy to culture.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't got round to buying frozen food, but I have tried to swap the females but the male just attacks the new one and shd has actually developed a white long spot on her head and seems petrified :( :( :(
Should I swap them over again?

I haven't got round to buying frozen food, but I have tried to swap the females but the male just attacks the new one and shd has actually developed a white long spot on her head and seems petrified :( :( :(
Should I swap them over again?
I found that most paradise fish are just as aggressive breeders as bettas are so you don't want to have the pair together unless they are both ready to breed. That means that the males should have made a nest before the female is introduced into the tank. The females should be plump and round with eggs before they are introduced into the breeding tank. How I introduce is the following: Make a see through divider in the tank either with small grade eggcrate or clear glass or plastic. This way the pair can see each other and he can entice the female to spawn without being able to harm her if she is not ready. Once you see the male court her through the divider and she responds by trying to get to his side, you can then remove the divider. Spawning is a dance and there will be torn fins as it can get aggressive. But if she is willing the damage should be minimal. After they finish spawning, the female must be removed as he will chase her form the eggs so make sure you have plenty of hiding spots for the female to get away from the male before you get to removing her.
It sounds like your females are not ready to spawn which is why they haven't yet. Make sure they are fed higher quality foods and more proteins than usual to help her develop the eggs. Water conditions are also important. just because the 2 fish are primed to spawn doesn't mean they will if the water isn't right. Temp, PH and water quality all play a part in breeding any fish.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom