breeding/qt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Molly and swordtail have both given birth recently and now my tank is full of fry, so I'm considering buying one of them kids fish tanks to put them in. I'm assuming I'm goin to have to cycle it first aren't i? Also what kind of heater and filter would I need for such a small tank?

Fry are very delicate so if I were you I would use water from your main tank in a 5G and simply put in a small filter (or powerhead) with a sponge on the intake to make sure you don't suck up any fry. It won't require anything powerful.

Also I would buy a cheap small filter and put the media in your main tanks filter for a week or two to mature, then put the filter in your fry tank once they are a little bigger.

Just be sure not to overfeed the fry or your tank will get polluted, maybe hatch some baby brine shrimp and use that as food. Although for the first few days they probably won't require any. And crush up the flake food of course.

I am no expert on the subject but this is what I have done in the past, never failed.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Also you can get heaters at the pet store rated for any aquarium size, just get one to match the fry tank and they will automatically set to the right temp.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Hi dudeofrude I see you live round the corner from me lol. I got one of them kids tanks from b&m in town for £10 and got a small heater for it for £17. I used the water from one of my big tanks and raised my fry in there for a couple of weeks and they did great. I thought the little tank was just the right size so the fry didn't have a huge space to search for food plus I could vac the gravel without losing the fry down the drain lol.

Cool cheers, yeah that tank in b&m was the one I was thinking of buying. The fry are ok now they have adjusted well to the big tank but looks like I have more on the way so I best invest lol

When I thought the fish was going to drop lol I just put her in there till she had her fry then put her back after so I didn't have to search and catch the fry from one of my big tanks. It made life loads easier lol.

I have around 70 swordtails and around 70 platties in a little bow front tank and 2 of my female guppies are pregnant too lol

Why not get net breeders for your fry? Don't have to cycle any additional tank.

Whatever you do do it fast before your fry get eaten

I did have a breeding net for the fry at first but then I felt sorry for them for being in a small place so I got 1 of them little tanks lol.

Then my other platty popped so I had to get this tank for even more room for them lol

Attachments

• image-2624404561.jpg
    image-2624404561.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 83
Beautiful tank! I just use a net breeder :p if my dad bought me a 1-2G baby/quarantine tank then I would definitely get one! :3

How many pregnant fish did you have? o_O what are you gonna do with all that fry? Some will die naturally, but after all that you'll have a lot left over!

Lol we still have around 60 to 70 swordtails that are 5 weeks old and around 60 to 70 platties that are nearly 3 weeks old. Now we have around 25 guppies lol we had alot of pregnant fish. We still have 1 more guppy that's pregnant. We have a 3 and a half foot tank, another 3 foot tank, a aquamode bow front tank and a birthing tank lol

Back
Top Bottom