Breeding RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmavrik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice and or tips on how to breed RCS. I plan to sell them if they're profitable.

They are easy to breed if you maintain them well they will d the rest. Keep your water chemistry stable, use gravel or sand-it is a must-, have plenty of plants real or plastic and objects for them to feed off of. They will eat veggies, crushed snails, flake food, shrimp pellets and the like. Don't over feed, I feed mine enough for 4 guppys 2 x weekly. I have about 70 breeders. Use a sponge filter or two, I use the sponges rated at 80gal x 2 in a 20L. Use floating plants or devices, they like to surface skim. I use duck week and a plastic coffee can lid cut into micro lilly pads.

If you plan to sell them I would take a dual approach. Use two tanks and once a month grade out the most colorful and put the culls in the other tank to sell for feeders or just as micro shrimp. If you don't ruthlessly remove the low grade animals you will lose the color fast. Keep in mind these guys get to a point and breed like crazy.

Sand is easier for them as the food won't fall down between the pieces as it does with gravel.

You can also put a feeding dish down if you use gravel. Mine love their plants.

I have a few more questions.

How much could I sell each one for?

How many shrimp should I start out with to have a perfect colony?

Should I get two tanks for the shrimp?
If so what size?

Are there different grades of RCS?

I had a long detailed answer. The App crashed again !!!

I think I'll just go back to lurking till the App is fixed. Too frustrating to keep having to retype my posts.

I have an iPhone 5s

2nd try. Using Tapatalk this time.
A. There are different grades/types of RCS. Regular, Fire Red, Painted Fire Red, Pure Line , etc....

The difference is how intense and solid the red color is in the Shrimp.
Buyer beware. Prices have dropped on all RCS as more "new/rare" colors have been imported or bred.

Don't plan on making money on Shrimp. The really expensive ones are also fragile.

You can start with 10-20 in a 10g.
Later add new bloodlines. You can cull for color yourself and end up with some really pretty shrimp. By cull I mean sell or separate out the less desirable colors. Males tend to be less red.

2 tanks ? If you want, that's fine. You can perhaps also breed Yellows or another color.

CRS are a bit more picky. Start with RCS and enjoy them. No fish except for Otos. Live plants, clean water and not too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom