Breeding Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brock1588

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I got a batch of 5 Electric Blue shrimps yesterday and i fancy having a go at breeding them...

Can anyone give me advice and some info on this.

I have a few Moss Balls and a couple of Java Moss plants in the tank for them which im under the understanding they like alot lol

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my SM-A310F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am also a newbie at breeding shrimp and as far as I know shrimp will not breed unless they are at their optimum conditions. I am also interested in breeding blue varieties of shrimp and I read that water parameters may vary between shrimp species (caridina, neocaridina...) so firstly get them water parameters and heating corrrectly, also I was recommended to keep snails with the shrimp to help stabilize the PH and also provide certain beneficial nutrients for the shrimp.

I don't know much more, I hope someone shows up that can give you some tips and tricks for breeding them.

You have more knowledge than me i do have a snail in there with them at the min....i cant seem to find them though they seemed to have vanished lol, one appears for a few seconds now and again but thts it there should be 5 of em in my tank

Sent from my SM-A310F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are quite shy, so they will be hiding around most of the time. My tank has some drift wood in there for them to hide and lots of moss and moss balls (I don't have shrimp yet). I believe that once they feel more comfortable in there they eventually show up more often.

As for food obviously try to provide them with the best quality food possible, some people supplement their diet with veggies but I prefer to use catappa leaves. They sell shrimp specific catappa leaves but I think you can also get them in amazon. These you just leave in the tank until they practically eat through most of the leaf and a "skeleton" of the leaf is left behind.

I purchased a TDS meter because apparently its very important to keep that under control, and stay the hell away from copper. It kills them.

I found this video in youtube, it might be quite helpful :D

Hello, i love to breed shrimp simply because they are fun and easy to look after.

as long as to have around 27-28 degreed water, low nitrate and ammonia, and PH of 6.6 - 8, they will defiantly breed.

Sure that you have about 10 shrimp o start with, around 6 females and 4 males.this will ensure that they will all mate together.

hope it helped :)

Back
Top Bottom