breeding sword tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brotherd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one female in a tank with 11 neons .The sword has been in there for a few months now.Strangely I now have a half dozen what look like baby swords!How is this possible?Previous to being in this tank she was in a different tank with other fish of different species.No other sword tails around her ever.What gives? 8O

Definitely not!But is it possible for this species to cross breed with others?Also is it possible for this species to change gender as it matures?

I learned this info a few years ago from a local pet shop. Who would have thought they would have been good for something ;)

Some fish can store sperm for later use. So all it would take is one mating session and then the female can store the sperm and use it to fertilize the eggs over time.

Swordtails are probaly like this.

Also yes some fish do change genders but I dont think swordtails are like that. Usually the fish that do a gender change are the type that have no real outward difference between male and female. Since swordtail mails have a uniqe identifyer they probaly stay male for the entire life time.

Back
Top Bottom