Breeding the good 'Ole snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesfoad

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 10g tank and I'm hoping to get a puffer or two. I know that they need to eat snail to keep their beak size down so i am starting a snail colony in an old 1g. I got free snails from the pet store randomly, they look like MTS and ramshorns. how do i breed them fairly quickly. I put some carrot in there and they don't have a heater, only a small hob filter:(

They should be fine without a heater as long as you have them in a heated room in the house.

HOB filter is just fine

My snails really like a slice of zucchini zapped in the microwave for about 30 seconds. They devour it in a day. As long as you provide them with food on a regular basis they will breed like rabbits. MTS are livebearers and will begin to produce quickly. Ramshorn produce eggs and you will have more than you could want fairly quickly. As long as there is food these snails will reproduce.

Ok I am thinking of getting rid of the MTS as they are too hard shelled

MTS are actually a great snail. They burrow in the substrate during the day and keep it aerated and eat all the algae off the glass and plants without harming the plants. Best snails ever. Are you sure MTS are too hard for a puffer?

I have read a lot of articles on how they are hard and can possibly chip heir beak tooth

Back
Top Bottom