breeding tropicals in a pond type setting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettywolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you breed tropical fish in a pond... what I mean is throw a whole bunch of one species of fish for example congo tetra's and will they breed? I'm just wondering if it's even possible... there's a large pond on the property that I am thinking of buying I'de say it's at least 2000 gallons but I could be over esimating because I haven't really had a chance to measure it and the people who are selling it say they can't remember how big it is. I would have to clear it out and add plants and driftwood and do a lot of research on whatever fish I want to do before ever setting it up but I'm just wondering if it could even work.

Is it well heated? I doubt you would be able to keep most tropicals in any type of pond setting without heat unless you are located in an area that is 80+f year round.

Pond breeding

Can you breed tropical fish in a pond... what I mean is throw a whole bunch of one species of fish for example congo tetra's and will they breed? I'm just wondering if it's even possible... there's a large pond on the property that I am thinking of buying I'de say it's at least 2000 gallons but I could be over esimating because I haven't really had a chance to measure it and the people who are selling it say they can't remember how big it is. I would have to clear it out and add plants and driftwood and do a lot of research on whatever fish I want to do before ever setting it up but I'm just wondering if it could even work.

The answer is.... It depends. It depends on what kind of fish are you going to breed, the filtering you're going to do, the temperature you can maintain.
Here in FL, most farms are just that, ponds. The fish are spawned in an area of the pond then removed so they don't eat the eggs. If you're just looking to see what can happen, stick with cichlids. You will have the best chance of seeing where and when or if they spawn. (You'll see the nests.)Temp is an issue but not as much for some of the more hardier species. If you can't control the colder weather, use Goldfish/ Koi. They won't care if ice comes overhead as long as the entire pond doesn't freeze. You won't see the babies until they change color so you'll have to keep watch of the temps and fish's habits to know when to introduce some fry foods.

Hope this helps...

Thanks... the temp isn't too much of a problem I live just outside of Houston, TX and during the winter it doesn't get to cold... I'll have to ask and see if they have heaters for the pond or not but if not I could possibly get a heater for it. Also need to ask about the filtration. I know right now the couple said they are keeping Koi in the pond but they said they are taking those with them so I do have to find something else to keep in it. If the breeding thing doesn't work out that's ok it was more just an idea to see what would happen if I did try it.

Heating a pond

Thanks... the temp isn't too much of a problem I live just outside of Houston, TX and during the winter it doesn't get to cold... I'll have to ask and see if they have heaters for the pond or not but if not I could possibly get a heater for it. Also need to ask about the filtration. I know right now the couple said they are keeping Koi in the pond but they said they are taking those with them so I do have to find something else to keep in it. If the breeding thing doesn't work out that's ok it was more just an idea to see what would happen if I did try it.
Heating a 2000 gal pond is going to be expensive!!!! ( unless you go solar.) I would stick with the cichlid idea and see how it goes. Texas cichlids and some of the Central American Cichlids should do okay as well. In the winter time if it gets too cold, you can cover the pond with plastic to retain the heat.

Good luck!!! :)

Pond heaters are generally just to keep a hole in the ice. It isn't financially logical to try and actually heat a pond. A pond of 2000gallons is at the mercy of the weather.
Keep in mind, fish farms usually have very big ponds. The more water volume, the longer temperature takes to change. A lot of aquarium fish would find it stressful even going up and down by 5C daily.

Back
Top Bottom