Breeding White Cloud Minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If you want to add fish to your fry tank and not have them eat the fry. Use this measure. The distance between the anal fin and the tip of the tail on the biggest fish you want to add to your tank and not have your fry eaten. See the picture below. What are you feeding? If you grow really attached to the babies, you could always trade the fry in for feeder fish, that you have no attachment too. How old are your kids that are going to watch one fish chomp another fish or I am confused?

The blue line is where I have safely put fry in with a larger fish and not gotten eaten. I took this measure of my largest fish. Which in this case a guppy. The white illistrates if you want to wait a little longer before adding another fish its an option.

Attachments

• femaleguppy.jpg
    femaleguppy.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 54
Our babies were born yesterday!

6 little black mollies popped out Sunday morning. Man are they ever cute!

We have crunched up flake food really small for them and bought some vinegar eel cultures at an aquarium/fish auction on the weekend. They seem to really like those, even though you can barely see them.

The babies are really cute and I hope I don't get attached to them because we are breeding to feed our other fish.

We will see!

Congrats. Now you'll see why no tropical fish breeder only has 1 tank. :D It's too easy to get attached. Been there, done that. ;) Welcome to the club! :ROFLMAO: (Sorry, I couldn't resist (y))

Haha, I won't be getting attached.

We got the tank for a specific reason. Hopefully it pans out or we will try selling the fish maybe if they don't grow up fast enough for feeding to our other fish.

We have Gar, a giant Raphael catfish, an eel and 3 Butis Butis crazy fish. They are great!

If you want to add fish to your fry tank and not have them eat the fry. Use this measure. The distance between the anal fin and the tip of the tail on the biggest fish you want to add to your tank and not have your fry eaten. See the picture below. What are you feeding? If you grow really attached to the babies, you could always trade the fry in for feeder fish, that you have no attachment too. How old are your kids that are going to watch one fish chomp another fish or I am confused?

The blue line is where I have safely put fry in with a larger fish and not gotten eaten. I took this measure of my largest fish. Which in this case a guppy. The white illistrates if you want to wait a little longer before adding another fish its an option.

The kids have seen the other fish eating already. We have 2 boys, 9 and 11. They are just we excited watching the bigger fish eating the others as we are. Might sound mean but seems pretty normal to me considering what we do to the animals that we eat.

We were told that the mollies don't eat their offspring so they should be fine! I guess we will see.

they do eat their off spring, especially the slow ones! Make sure to put lots of fake plants to help the fry escape mom.

they do eat their off spring, especially the slow ones! Make sure to put lots of fake plants to help the fry escape mom.

Thanks,
So far so good. All the babies are doing just fine. They have a real plant to hide in and we never see the mom or dad chasing any of them.

I guess we will take the risk for now. We were informed by guys at our LFS who generally give us really good advice.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom