Brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys im looking into getting some brine shrimp eggs so I can feed some live food to my fish but I havent been able to find any really solid info on them can anyone point me in the right direction?! Even a link to a thread on here [emoji5] thanks guys

I get my brine shrimp eggs and sieves from Brine shrimp direct...
I hatch in in simple 2 liter bottles with air...
My eggs hatch in 24 hours .
I feed 3 times a day to all my fry.
This site won't allow my link...

Cool! I kinda want to grow them into adults depending how big they actually get what do you feed the brine shrimp? And how do you feed them in your tank? Like you grow them in salt water but obv dont want to add salt water to the fresh tank its just been confusing me lol

I felt like it should be easy info to find since iv read theyre really good to feed to your fish and lots do it but havent found much info yet

They are most nutritious when newly hatched...
It is not just size that makes BBS so good for fish.
As adults and frozen brine shrimp have less nutritional value then their tiny Baby counterparts....
Some gut load Brine with additives like Selco....

Okay, so how do I go about getting them out of the salt water and into the fresh? Wont they just fall through a net?

If you buy from Brine Shrimp Direct, they also sell brine shrimp nets for collecting the nuplii. There are also other companies that sell specific Brine Shrimp nets but the material is different amongst them all and what will work for some brands won't work for others. For example: I had a Brine Shrimp net from Penn Plax that worked great for my OSI shrimp eggs but didn't work for BSD eggs. I suggest you get a net from the brand you buy the eggs from.

As for growing the shrimp, you will need to do that in another tank as they are a saltwater specie and not a freshwater one. HOWEVER, there are freshwater species of "fairy shrimp" that can be raised in a display tank but I suggest that this also is not a good idea. They are a delicate specie so they need to be handled delicately. Fish don't treat food delicately. ;)

As for how to hatch the eggs, there are many ways both homemade and commercially made hatcheries, but the type of eggs will determine things like temperature, salinity, light hours, etc. necessary to get optimal hatch.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks man! Theres tons of info on youtube as well that my friend has steered me towards! Gonna grab a vile today and try my luck at it, also can I use reef salt?! Iv got some instant ocean kicking around and it would be nice to use it!

Thanks man! Theres tons of info on youtube as well that my friend has steered me towards! Gonna grab a vile today and try my luck at it, also can I use reef salt?! Iv got some instant ocean kicking around and it would be nice to use it!
You can use it but the salinity will matter. That will depend on the brand you use. (y)

Ya iv read that some people have better luck with higher salinity like reef tank levels

My buddy buys all his eggs off ebay for like 17 CAD a pound which seems really good!

I use the water from my reef tank{ one of them}...
I don't know about other sources directly... Hatch rate and how long they last is important...
I buy 1lb cans of 85% hatch rate for just under $50 I think[ they sell cheaper also...].
I am a breeder who can go through 1 1/2 teaspoons of eggs a day some times ,often less and the 1 lb last me a year aprox.....Just saying....

Nicee thats awesome!! Ill talk to my buddy and see what the hatch rate is on his cuz I mean 17 bucks a pound is crazy even if the hatch rate is like 60-70 percent

Back
Top Bottom