Bristle nose plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 4 albino bristle nose plecos as juveniles. Now that they are larger I think I have 3 males and 1 female. I did see 2 males fight briefly over food but otherwise they stay in their own territories. The tank is a 55 g planted with peacock gudgeons. So will they breed? Or do I re home some males? How do I know which male with pair with the female?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you do not want them to breed remove one of the sexes, males get the pronounced bristles so they may be nice to have around. They do get territorial so 2 males would be it.. if you don't see one for a while and another is hovering around a certain hidey hole or cave? Chances are they have bred.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would like them to breed. I just don't want to re home the wrong male. So I should just keep a pair in the 55?

2 pair will probably be ok in a 4' tank, just as long as it's not 3 males and one female..

Give them several ceramic or clay "logs" (or even a few small cichlid stones for young males) to stake out their territories. When the female is ready to lay eggs she'll choose 1 male, then you can rehome the other 2. BN aren't pair-bonding fish, the female will lay her eggs and leave the male to care for them. However, even several females will usually breed with the dominant male, no real point in keeping more males.

I have pots and breeding tubes but no luck yet. How big do they need to be to breed? Maybe I've sexed them incorrectly. 3 have some small bristles and 1 has none. If I could see pics of males vs females that would help. I had a hard time finding those kinds of pics online.

Here's a couple old pics of a breeding brown male peeking out of a barnacle cluster:

Here's a super red male:

For size reference, that's a suction cup mount for an aquaclear powerhead behind the super red male, female right below him.

The bristles on mine are nothing like the pics. Maybe I'm wrong and I have females. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I tried today but they wouldn't stay still at the time.

Sorry I seem so ignorant I'm experienced with other fish just never had plecos before.

No need for appologies:) how big are yours? I had a 4" female with small bristles, could have confused me if I didn't know any better. Males get a sort of lions mane going..

I think my biggest one is about 3 inches. No bristles that I can see. They other 3 are a little smaller and have little bristles. No bushy manes but maybe they are too young yet?

You should start to see pronounced bristles at around 2.5-3" I believe. Maybe just give it some time? So long as it's all peace and no war in there

They grow and mature at different rates. I've seen smaller males with big bristles and larger males (growing out from the same brood) that didn't show until they were almost another inch longer. I've also seen females with small bristles, but only males have the row up the middle of their snout.

Here is a pic of one of them. Notice the tiny bristles.

Attachments

• 1408837770812.jpg
    1408837770812.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 66
Lil fatttyyyyyy:D

Yeah that's one thing you can say, my fish are well fed. Lol

Here is the biggest one that I suspect is female.

Attachments

• 1408849783622.jpg
    1408849783622.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom