Bristlenose breeding tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll post more as the days go on. I'll try document it all :)

That is so exciting!! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to see more pics as they progress :)

I always left the female in there and they both took care of things, with the male taking on a majority of the duties. Now you will find they will spawn regularly.

I was thinking about breeding some bristle nose plecos, hopefully albinos if I can get my fingers on them! I have plans to get a 40g tank an ill portably get 1 male and 2 females. I will be addin other community fish, and the ones I'm positive I'm getting are guppies and neon tetras. This will be fun!!! If it's safe, of course!!! ^^

Wats the average time between spawns? And what can I do between spawns to encourage them to spawn again?

I don't remember how long between spawnings. I will say feed fresh kale, zuchinni slices, and good spirolina Hikari discs. Was was doing a 5% wc every 3 days, then a 40% once a month. That big one usually was a prelude to a spawn. I was told that they, like a lot of the south American fish spawn when the rainy season starts.

Thanks for the tips. That is their usual diet and weird thing happened. I did 50% water change and fed them cooked chopped up prawns (first time ever) the night before they spawned. I also fed it to my angels and now my angels are showing breeding behavior also.
Something in the prawns or just good timing?

My vote is on water, but could be some good amino acids or hormones in the prawns. But fish are like setting people on a date....seems like a surething, but then nothing.

Ok so the eggs are starting to turn white even with the male in there 24/7. I tried removing them with tweezers but they are so stuck together the white eggs just popped and there are bits of white egg stuck everywhere. I really did just make a mess of things. Do i give up this time?

Why did you try moving them with tweezers? When fish spawn first time It can be common for things not to work out the first 2-3 times you just have to leave it be... In some cases people move the eggs still attached to whatever they are laid on under water into a fry net... I'd recommend leaving them next time

Thanks for the tips. Kinda regretting touching them. Was just scared the white eggs would destroy the rest. The male is back in there still fanning but also still not eating dead eggs. Hopefully round two is better

Leave em alone. Bristlenose are going to spawn regularly now. They do good, just need practice.

Is it like a fungus? I read that's a pretty common problem with eggs, some people treat with anti fungal meds to protect them... But somebody else speak up here, this is just something I read in passing, so wait till you get better advice before following mine lol.

I never use the blue stuff with eggs that I let the parents take care of.

I always give the pair 2 trys at it before I take the eggs away, this is with all fish I have bred, of which the parents take care of the eggs.

Patience brother, patience.

Yes, you need patience with your fish, espically dealing with breeding, and letting them do it themselves is a good idea (unless they're the kind of fish that eat their young, or in a tank that will eat the baby fish)

I understand that pleco eggs don't usually fall victim to fungus. Generally they are just infertile. If you have partially white (dead) eggs and partially healthy and colored then you may want to treat for fungus. If they are all white within the first day you need to wait for actual fertilized eggs

Back
Top Bottom