Bristlenose eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in the past few days, I've noticed my albino bristlenose male has been hanging out in the little "cave" part of a glass ornament in my tank. I really didn't think much of it until tonight, when I noticed he seemed to be fanning his fins a lot. A closer look told me there are eggs in there! Looks like daddy has good instincts, because he has been fanning away nonstop for a few days now. The cave is clear glass, so I can look in and see what's going on. I can see maybe 10-15 eggs. I just have to wonder who the mother is. I have 5 bristle noses total, and the albino is the only one with distinctive bristles. I think it may be one of my longfins because her fins are a little tattered all of a sudden. I did see a short fin trying to squeeze in with him today, though. Who knows. All I know is I am happy to get to watch him take care of the eggs, and I am looking forward to seeing the babies. Any tips on raising them? He's doing a good job fanning right now, so I don't want to risk moving him and the eggs if he might abandon them if a move stresses him out. There are ghost shrimp, mystery snails, a juvenile angelfish, the other plecos, and a small school of neons in the tank where the eggs are. I think I'm going to try to move the fry when they hatch. Good plan or no?

i wouldnt worry about the young they are a fairly good size once the dad lets them out after hatching, algea flakes or wafers crumbed up will do well to feed them, of course any natural algea in your tank would be a help

The angel fish (if it's big enough)may be a problem once he let's them out of the cave. The neons won't bother them. You'll want to supply some fresh food such as zucchini or cucumber for them to eat once they leave the cave.

The angel fish (if it's big enough)may be a problem once he let's them out of the cave. The neons won't bother them. You'll want to supply some fresh food such as zucchini or cucumber for them to eat once they leave the cave.

I might just temporarily move the angel, then. I always have some fresh food in the tank, too. Between the snails and the plecos I have to put fresh veggies in every couple days, they will demolish two or three slices of zucchini or cucumber in around 24 hours. In the next couple days I'm going to try to pick up some pantyhose to cover my filter intakes, too.

Back
Top Bottom