Bristlenose Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neo287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 5 BN plecos that have been trying to breed for a while now since I moved their tank. I added 3 new caves and they claimed a cave and spawned, but I keep finding the eggs kicked out of the cave. I don't know why.
Anyhow I managed to save one clutch that didn't get fungus and now I have some fry! I placed them in a cycled 20 gallon I was going to use for guppies. They seem to be growing fast.
img_3382694_0_d1ad30b1aa50ba6eb75565d99a5aee02.jpg

I have 5 BN plecos that have been trying to breed for a while now since I moved their tank. I added 3 new caves and they claimed a cave and spawned, but I keep finding the eggs kicked out of the cave. I don't know why.
Anyhow I managed to save one clutch that didn't get fungus and now I have some fry! I placed them in a cycled 20 gallon I was going to use for guppies. They seem to be growing fast.
img_3382885_0_d1ad30b1aa50ba6eb75565d99a5aee02.jpg

I have the same issue. My goofy male keeps kicking the eggs out of the tube but the fry still survive so just keep fish that can eat the eggs out of the tank. (y)
FYI, I have my pair in with some Guppies and it appears that the adult female Guppies are eating the newly hatched Pleco fry so you really need to be careful what fish you put in with them. They were fine until they got larger but now, only Guppy fry or just the Plecos will be in the tank. When the Plecos were alone in a tank, they had as many as 3 spawns all living together so I know now that its the Guppies reducing the numbers. :(

Yeah I guess he decided he doesn't want to be the father anymore and swept the eggs out lol.

I figured the guppies may stress them a bit so the 20g is going to be my pleco only nursery for now.

Do you know when I should start adding food for the fry to eat? As of now they favor one area of the tank by my sponge filter(place in photo) but I never see them move from that spot on the glass.

Yeah I guess he decided he doesn't want to be the father anymore and swept the eggs out lol.

I figured the guppies may stress them a bit so the 20g is going to be my pleco only nursery for now.

Do you know when I should start adding food for the fry to eat? As of now they favor one area of the tank by my sponge filter(place in photo) but I never see them move from that spot on the glass.

I don't think that's really the reason. Mine does stay close to the eggs even tho they are out of the cave so he knows the eggs are there. Maybe?:confused:

I find that the fry will come down off the sides about 3 days after hatching and at that point, I make sure there is food in the tank for them. I use Live newly hatched brine shrimp and Omega One Algae rounds and have had good results with these. The fry also will eat the film that develops on the glass as well.(y)

I don't think that's really the reason. Mine does stay close to the eggs even tho they are out of the cave so he knows the eggs are there. Maybe?:confused:

I find that the fry will come down off the sides about 3 days after hatching and at that point, I make sure there is food in the tank for them. I use Live newly hatched brine shrimp and Omega One Algae rounds and have had good results with these. The fry also will eat the film that develops on the glass as well.(y)

I was just joking about the eggs:D But my bristlenose males do not come out near the eggs when they kick them out, instead they keep fanning their fins at the entrance of the cave like the eggs are still in there:nono:

They will eat brine shrimp? I never thought of using them for the plecos, but I never hatched fish from eggs before either(Except accidental cory hatches).

A few of the larger fry did take to an algae wafer and a piece of blanched zucchini today, and I seen a few eating on the sponge filter so maybe they will make it!

I was just joking about the eggs:D But my bristlenose males do not come out near the eggs when they kick them out, instead they keep fanning their fins at the entrance of the cave like the eggs are still in there:nono:

They will eat brine shrimp? I never thought of using them for the plecos, but I never hatched fish from eggs before either(Except accidental cory hatches).

A few of the larger fry did take to an algae wafer and a piece of blanched zucchini today, and I seen a few eating on the sponge filter so maybe they will make it!
When it dies on the bottom of the tank, the fry will eat them. I happen to have live for my Angel fry so I use it in there too. I also put pieces of rock and shale in tanks so that they can develop so biofilm on it and keep changing them between tanks for the fry. This is a short lived operation as once the fry start eating the algae disks I don't need to supply the algae that way anymore.

As for the fanning, mine does it too. I think it's just a habit. :lol: But I've seen my male stay close to the eggs when they were in a 75 gal vat so he knows they are there. If the water has enough oxygenation in it ( and it should and have more than an enclosed tube or cave) there is little reason for him to be fanning them anyway. Mine hatch fine without the fanning. (y)

@Andy Sager, Gotcha on the brine shrimp, I'll have to pick some up and try it. Good idea on the rocks too, I had a piece of driftwood soaking in a bucket for a while and added it today to the fry tank and almost all of them are hanging out on it now. I have to get a photo as they are a lil bigger now and show up pretty well on the darker driftwood.

Oh and I seen 3 fry in the main tank today, so one of the other males must have been hiding eggs.

Thanks JoeMan, they are awesome fish. I never have to clean algae off their glass!

Here's a photo of one of the suspected fathers:
img_3383392_0_d14bcb76207c7cce2d32e0ee6613d5ac.jpg

He is hiding most of his face in the picture but has some impressive branched bristles/whiskers, wish I could get a better photo of him.

Cute babies!
That's one handsome boy [emoji1] I have 2 young bnp and would love to have a boy and girl, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

They are getting bigger every day!
Here are a few still clinging to the glass. They move around but come back to this spot to hang out
img_3383654_0_a8f037949a56ea165f1b17b3303957c6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom