Bristlenose plecos breeding!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys could i put one male and one female bn pleco in my 10 gal to breed?
I would have tons of hiding places and drift wood! Thanks!

Not good with gallons but if you talk in litre's I could help or even if you said it's a 2ft tank or so

But I had a normal rectanglar 2ft tank and they breed in that it was 50-60 litre tank 2ft by 1ft by 1ft they did it by suprize I'm like hey look at that there's litle baby's 1 night on the side of the tank

nu-nu;)

nope:(

10G is way too small for BNs.......

1)they don't interbreed to create different types, usually turn out to be 1 or the other, but sometimes you can get unique colors(which are almost the same as the regular plecos)

2)10G for 2 5"-6" fish isn't enough..........
you'd need at least a 20L or a 20H........

they might breed, but water conditions will be harder to maintain, tank will be less stable,

a 10G is only good for breeding tiny fish(like dario darios), killis, and all inverts.....sorry;)
but at petco/petsmart you can get a 20H/20L for only $20 or if its just sitting there, it can be $15...........

also, BNs have interbred so much they only reach 6" when the REAL ones.....(huge genes, the original BN plecos(found in wild most of the time)......) get to 7"-9".......even the albinos

i'd just get a 20G and be done;) sell the 10G

TheFishBoss97 said:
nu-nu;)

nope:(

10G is way too small for BNs.......

1)they don't interbreed to create different types, usually turn out to be 1 or the other, but sometimes you can get unique colors(which are almost the same as the regular plecos)

2)10G for 2 5"-6" fish isn't enough..........
you'd need at least a 20L or a 20H........

they might breed, but water conditions will be harder to maintain, tank will be less stable,

a 10G is only good for breeding tiny fish(like dario darios), killis, and all inverts.....sorry;)
but at petco/petsmart you can get a 20H/20L for only $20 or if its just sitting there, it can be $15...........

also, BNs have interbred so much they only reach 6" when the REAL ones.....(huge genes, the original BN plecos(found in wild most of the time)......) get to 7"-9".......even the albinos

i'd just get a 20G and be done;) sell the 10G

Aww.....:(

^come on dude;) its okay;)
just go pick up a brand-new tank! its only $20;)
or go on CL, and find a few........trust me, ppl here in CA here in SJ, and even where u live here in CA, give away tanks like 120G+ for free. I've seen so many 20Gs with filters and lights go for free or een $10 on CL........

You could breed a pair of BN in a 10 gallon. However, once they start spawning they tend to keep going for some time. Average number of eggs for a young female is 50, up to 100 for a larger/older fish. How long do you expect to keep 50 growing fry in a 10 gallon tank, then another 50 3-4 weeks later, then 50 more...
The color of the adults doesn't necessarily indicate what the fry will be. I had a trio of browns that also produced some albino fry. I sold off the original trio and most of their offspring, and now some of their brown offspring have grown out and started spawning. They're producing brown, albino, calico, and super red fry.

toddnbecka said:
You could breed a pair of BN in a 10 gallon. However, once they start spawning they tend to keep going for some time. Average number of eggs for a young female is 50, up to 100 for a larger/older fish. How long do you expect to keep 50 growing fry in a 10 gallon tank, then another 50 3-4 weeks later, then 50 more...
The color of the adults doesn't necessarily indicate what the fry will be. I had a trio of browns that also produced some albino fry. I sold off the original trio and most of their offspring, and now some of their brown offspring have grown out and started spawning. They're producing brown, albino, calico, and super red fry.

Ya i have 2 10 gallons, so once the fry get bigger i would just put them in the other 10 gal! Thanks for the replys

jetajockey said:
I agree with Todd. A 10g is fine for a breeding tank, it's just not good for a growout or a long term tank.

BN genetics are beyond me.

Haha great! Thats all i would be using it for, breeding. Now i just need to find some adult albino bn plecos...

i guess you could do it in the 10G.........but the main reason is that the female could easily be killed..........

bc........

1) there is not enough space in a 10G to put hiding places, and if you do, there is no space for the plecos to move freely

2) the water conditions will be suepr hard to keep clean as the smaller the tank, the more unstable

3) the eggs need clean water so they don't get fungus, and plecos will make sure they DO get fungus unless you have a really good filter, and are removing a lot of "crap" each day...........

3)the male might kill the female or vice versa

4) if the eggs hatch, in the vital 2-3 days with them having their egg sacs.....they could easily die as that is the most crucial moment for them(besides the next week)

5) are you even sure your LFS will buy them? most likely, if they are already selling them, they will already have a local breeder and like a deal with him/her. You should find that out first

that happened to me when i asked my LFS for breeding BNs.....after i got a pair......now though, i breed albinos/L144s for them. i give them around 10+ 1"ers a month

im not saying u can't just saying, why not get a 20G and save lots of time and money........and space

you can do it with super good filtration, but then you'll have to look around in the tank and siphon up any "crap" laying on the floor of the tank as you'll prob. cover the intake with a sponge so that fry don't go on an adventure...........

you'd save space as a 20G or even a 29G would use up 1/2 the space used by 10Gs as they would use height, not 40"X24" floor space combined

water parms. would be more stable;) and a less hastle for you when doing all maintenance...........your choice though, i see no issue, but just more pros with larger tank, vs. way more cons with a 10G or 2 10Gs........

Ok i see what you mean. The thing is my mom is kinda done having 3 fish tanks, so another would piss her off. I will ask my lfs if they would buy em, i have 2 filters in the 10 so it has real good filtration. Im trying to make tons of hiding places, and im gunna put drift wood in there soon! Im not opposing the idea of a 20 g, because i would soo do it if my mom would let me. Thanks for your input, i will sleep on it ;)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hey guys could i put one male and one female bn pleco in my 10 gal to breed?
I would have tons of hiding places and drift wood! Thanks!

Ten gallon with two adult plecos.....
You will ether stress the fish out because ther is not enough space or they won't mate like they normally would. I would suggest getting a 20 or 30 gal for mating then put the babies in one ten gal and keep whatever fish you want in the other.

i guess you could do it in the 10G.........but the main reason is that the female could easily be killed..........

bc........

1) there is not enough space in a 10G to put hiding places, and if you do, there is no space for the plecos to move freely

2) the water conditions will be suepr hard to keep clean as the smaller the tank, the more unstable

3) the eggs need clean water so they don't get fungus, and plecos will make sure they DO get fungus unless you have a really good filter, and are removing a lot of "crap" each day...........

3)the male might kill the female or vice versa

4) if the eggs hatch, in the vital 2-3 days with them having their egg sacs.....they could easily die as that is the most crucial moment for them(besides the next week)

5) are you even sure your LFS will buy them? most likely, if they are already selling them, they will already have a local breeder and like a deal with him/her. You should find that out first

that happened to me when i asked my LFS for breeding BNs.....after i got a pair......now though, i breed albinos/L144s for them. i give them around 10+ 1"ers a month

Ten gallon with two adult plecos.....
You will ether stress the fish out because ther is not enough space or they won't mate like they normally would. I would suggest getting a 20 or 30 gal for mating then put the babies in one ten gal and keep whatever fish you want in the other.

Curious if you guys have experience with breeding BN's or if you are just parroting stuff you have read... because Todd actually DOES have experience with breeding BN's. Just saying. ;)

severum mama said:
Curious if you guys have experience with breeding BN's or if you are just parroting stuff you have read... because Todd actually DOES have experience with breeding BN's. Just saying. ;)

Who's tod?

Back
Top Bottom