Bristlenose plecos spawned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed today that my male bnp has been seriously going over a certain part of a driftwood log in my 55 gallon tank... darting back and forth, chasing other fish, and fanning his fins. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a clutch of 50+ eggs!

Is it sad to say that this made my day?

Anyone know about bnp breeding? How to keep the little guys alive? And will the parents continue to spawn every so often?

The proud father standing guard over his clutch!

img_1973004_0_73776496821d783710a9669bd7f26f49.jpg

im on my second batch of babys now. i keep 2 femaless and one male in a 10 gallon tank. cool 30 % water changes every 2 days. to get them to breed. mine love green beans and other assorted fish foods. alge wafers crushed up for the little babys. if you can make some sort of cave aproxamatly 1 inch tall 3 inch wide and 5 inch long they will breed in it. or a piece of flat slate rock sat about one inch or so off the bottom like a cave. ask me in a pm if i can help

I wasn't expecting mine to breed. They are in a 55 gallon planted tank with cherry barbs, bloodfinntetras, Cory's, and a few swordtails.
My bnp female laid her eggs in a large knot in a piece of driftwood. I do 50% water change once a week, and the fish are fed omega one fish flakes, algae waffers, shrimp pellets... andonce a week they get brine shrimp and a green seaweed/algae sheet. I use green beans, peas, and cucumber slices for veggie treats.

well it sounds like your doing great keep up the good work . they will breed more. i would watch the other fish and make shure they dont go after the fry when they hatch

when i found out i had a mated pair i pulled them out and now breed them in a 10 gall

Which do you think would be better?

I have two options for when the eggs hatch... I have a breeder net that I could set them in, which would sit in the 55 gallon tank. I'm thinking that will be the easiest wat to regulate temp and water quality, but....

I also have a cycled 5 gallon tank that will soon be empty once I move some babies out and into the main tank. It has a filter that already is buffered with a sponge so the water flow isn't too strong. The substrate is sand and there are a few live plants hanging around. I could also add a chunk of driftwood.

i prefer to move the eggs after about 3 days to there own tank so the parents will start breeding agian. i never used one of those net baskets so i dont no on that. i hope the other fish dont eat the fry before u get to them. thats why i pull my eggs out. i have a power head and two over the back filters with sponges on them for circulation in a 30 gall that i keep all my eggs and fry in. i guess u could put the eggs in the basket also as long as the water circulates over them

Back
Top Bottom