Bubble Nest??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Is this a Bubble Nest? Please Help!

Hello everyone,

I am needing some advice if I really have a fish in my tank that is ready to spawn.

In my 2nd 10G, I have 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 cardinal tetras (2 before but just got 3 more this wednesday), 1 rainbow dwarf gourami, and 1 zebra nerite snail.

In between May 18-27, I had seen the same bubble nest look in this tank and I was thinking my son was playing with the tank and made that bubbles. That time, I didn't have my gourami in there yet. He didn't join the community tank till May 28. So I was pretty sure it wasn't the gourami who was making the bubble then.

But tonight, I seen the same bubble nest (please see the picture). Now that I have the gourami there, I have been reading a lot about them and I know that the gouramis will make a bubble nest when they are ready to spawn. But he is alone in the tank, there are no females? Could that be possible? But if it is not my DG, then who could have done it, the cards or the rasboras? Please help!!!!! :confused::eek:

I am excited that I might get some frys but I am afraid that I might not know how to take care of them...:-(

Please help!

Last edited:
oppss forgot about the picture...here it is:

img_1393774_0_9168fbab46be97838c1e92aedaf19d64.jpg

If your DG wasn't in the tank when you saw the first nest, I would guess it was one of your other fish. Of course, I have yet to see a bubble nest in either of my tanks, so I have no experience w/ this. Afterall, you know me, I'm a livebearer type o' gal. ;)

Tagging along though! I'm interested to find out who built the nest and if you end up w/ any fry.

:popcorn:

I don't know what fish would have built the first bubble nest.

This was definitely built by a DG because it has plant matter used as a supporting structure. You have one happy gourami!

Cardinals are egg layers, they tend to scatter their eggs on plants (usually fine leaf) or artificial spawning mops.

Harlequin Rasboras are also egg layers, but like to attach their eggs on the underside of plant leaves.

So i doubt it was your cardinals or rasboras that made the first nest, unless they were laying serious amounts of eggs that looked like a bubble nest (doubtful).

See Harlequin rasbora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Cardinal tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info about the respective fish.

If your DG wasn't in the tank when you saw the first nest, I would guess it was one of your other fish. Of course, I have yet to see a bubble nest in either of my tanks, so I have no experience w/ this. Afterall, you know me, I'm a livebearer type o' gal. ;)

Tagging along though! I'm interested to find out who built the nest and if you end up w/ any fry.

:popcorn:

Hi dear....I finally know who did the bubble nest last night. I saw Edwin making more bubbles this morning and getting more plant matters for his nest. Hehehe...I guess my 'mirror' was very deceiving. LOL. Didn't mean to trick him with it. I just thought, well for now I have the mirror as a background until I get a black or blue one.

I don't know how he can get a fry since he is alone. I do have one female in my other 10G. You think it is a good idea to bring her over in this tank?

What you guys think? :brows::whistle:

I don't know what fish would have built the first bubble nest.

This was definitely built by a DG because it has plant matter used as a supporting structure. You have one happy gourami!

Hi Aaron. Thanks for the confirmation. So, even if they are alone, they will make a bubble nest and that means that they are happy? I am very glad if he is. :) He is actually guarding the bubble nest right now which is kinda cute..

Cardinals are egg layers, they tend to scatter their eggs on plants (usually fine leaf) or artificial spawning mops.

Harlequin Rasboras are also egg layers, but like to attach their eggs on the underside of plant leaves.

So i doubt it was your cardinals or rasboras that made the first nest, unless they were laying serious amounts of eggs that looked like a bubble nest (doubtful).

See Harlequin rasbora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Cardinal tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info about the respective fish.

Hi Pizentios. Thank you for this information. It is really very helpful. Do you know how the cardinal's or the rasbora's eggs look like? I have pond snails in this tank too and I know how they eggs look like. But lately, I have seen the same look of eggs of the snails but scattered everywhere in the leaves of the cabombas and the anacharis? Could that be theres? If it is not the snail's eggs, then I just toss a lot of fish eggs. :-(

Here is how the bubble nest looked like this afternoon...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGA0139.JPG
    IMGA0139.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 794
One more question...

Should I take the nest out since my DG had really no use for it anyway since he is alone? Will he get mad if I will take it out?

Please let me know.

More picture on how Edwin is guarding the nest:

33270-albums1750-picture12312.jpg

33270-albums1750-picture12313.jpg

33270-albums1750-picture12314.jpg

33270-albums1750-picture12315.jpg

Making more bubbles:

33270-albums1750-picture12317.jpg

33270-albums1750-picture12318.jpg

33270-albums1750-picture12319.jpg

Getting more plant matter:

33270-albums1750-picture12320.jpg

Good luck with breeding. When they build a bubblenest, they are just showing that they are ready to spawn. They will only spawn when they are healthy and happy.

Good luck with breeding. When they build a bubblenest, they are just showing that they are ready to spawn. They will only spawn when they are healthy and happy.

Hi Aaron. Thanks for that info. I have no idea with spawning so I was kind of not sure what to do when I saw that bubble nest.

Since he is alone and my female DG is in another tank, would it be okay to take his nest away when I am going to do my PWC? I am actually not really ready for some fry yet. I don't have the tank for them and I am not sure if I can do it. I just want to know if it would affect my male DG somehow if I will take the nest out? :confused:

Thanks for all the help.

Wow that's awesome!

I wish I could give advice on this but I have zero experience. Hopefully someone will help you soon. I would think it would upset him and confuse him if the nest were somehow gone all of a sudden but....again, don't go by me lol

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry if you do ever remove the bubble nest. I have accidentally destroyed a few of my betta's bubble nests and he didn't seem to care.

Back
Top Bottom