Bubble nest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldmoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I’m fairly new here but I was just wondering how to get/encourage a male betta to make a bubble nest. I’m trying my luck at breeding bettas (I did a ton of research) but I can’t get the male to build the nest! I’ve tried numerous pairs but for some reason they just won’t build the nest. I’ve tried half a styrofoam cup, bubble wrap, floating plants and floating leaves but they just don’t build it! I’ve also tried different strategies to breeding them but nothing seems to be working. Is the male maybe not conditioned properly? The females are always full of eggs and ready to spawn but the males don’t seem like they are. Thanks in advance!

At 3-4 months old males become sexually active so if your betta are younger then that they won't make nest. It is also about interest in a female that usually gets them building. Put the male in the breeding tank without a filter or with a small sponge filter. To much water movement at the surface and they can't build a nest. I used catappa leaves and bubble wrap taped in a corner and got multiple males to make nest. Feed both male and female live or frozen foods like brine shrimp and blood worms for 3 days. After that put the female into the clear cup you get them in from the store and float the cup in the tank with the male. Do this for a few days leaving the females in for a few hours each time to get the fish acquainted. After that you are on your own. I never could get any of my pairs to actually breed. Not sure if it helps but I tannin the water a good bit and had a temp of 82 degrees.

What’s your water like? Ph? Hardness?

I would try giving him some tannins and leaf litter and feeding him plenty of live food.

Ph is 7.1 and I’m not sure about hardness. I can get some Indian almond leaves if you think that’ll help with it. I feed lots of frozen foods before I attempt breeding but I can try live too. Thanks!

At 3-4 months old males become sexually active so if your betta are younger then that they won't make nest. It is also about interest in a female that usually gets them building. Put the male in the breeding tank without a filter or with a small sponge filter. To much water movement at the surface and they can't build a nest. I used catappa leaves and bubble wrap taped in a corner and got multiple males to make nest. Feed both male and female live or frozen foods like brine shrimp and blood worms for 3 days. After that put the female into the clear cup you get them in from the store and float the cup in the tank with the male. Do this for a few days leaving the females in for a few hours each time to get the fish acquainted. After that you are on your own. I never could get any of my pairs to actually breed. Not sure if it helps but I tannin the water a good bit and had a temp of 82 degrees.

My bettas are about 10 months old. Too old do you think? I can always get younger ones if the ones I have seem too old. I keep the water at about 80 degrees and do pretty much exactly what you described with the pair. The water quality is close to perfect and I don’t keep any filter in the tank. I feed lots of frozen food before attempting breeding. Do you think maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of females to males would work? I’ve heard people have had success with more females. Thanks for the response!

My bettas are about 10 months old. Too old do you think? I can always get younger ones if the ones I have seem too old. I keep the water at about 80 degrees and do pretty much exactly what you described with the pair. The water quality is close to perfect and I don’t keep any filter in the tank. I feed lots of frozen food before attempting breeding. Do you think maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of females to males would work? I’ve heard people have had success with more females. Thanks for the response!

Anything over 3-4 months are good for breeding. They will breed until they die so 10 months is great. I've had it recommended to me to do the 2:1 or 3:1 ratio but I never manned up and tried it. If you try it keep a very very close eye on them and let us know how it goes.

Anything over 3-4 months are good for breeding. They will breed until they die so 10 months is great. I've had it recommended to me to do the 2:1 or 3:1 ratio but I never manned up and tried it. If you try it keep a very very close eye on them and let us know how it goes.

Alright I might give it a shot. I have a lot of females and I’ll be sure to do it during a day when I’ll be home most of the day. Who knows? Maybe it’ll be the thing that finally works. Thanks for the advice and I’ll be sure to post if I get fry!

Firstly, before breeding betta you have to place both male and female's tank close to each other for at least 5 days...during that time you also have to give them food enough, fresh food is the best.

After that 5 days, then you just put them together in breeding tank. Wait for 1-2 days you should see the bubble nest...if the male didn't build bubble nest , I think that male can't breed ---> I mean even if you try your best, he just can't breed.

Firstly, before breeding betta you have to place both male and female's tank close to each other for at least 5 days...during that time you also have to give them food enough, fresh food is the best.

After that 5 days, then you just put them together in breeding tank. Wait for 1-2 days you should see the bubble nest...if the male didn't build bubble nest , I think that male can't breed ---> I mean even if you try your best, he just can't breed.

Okay thanks! I’m still trying different things and a nest was indeed built but the female destroyed it. I’m going to try a different male because the current one no longer seems interested in building another nest.

Back
Top Bottom