Bubble nest....now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a pair of honey gouramis in my 55 gallon community who have recently coloured up and the male has started to make a bubble nest

I am aware that the chances of anything happening in a community tank are pretty slim but I am still curious

After he has finished his bubble nest, which he has been building for the past 24 hours what will happen next? I am curious

He has barely left the nest today and hass added loads of bubbles. He is often chasing the female as well

Thanks

Hey, I think as you said the chances fry will survive are very low unless you proived them with some serious shelter. From what I know, spawning will only happen if the female responds to the male's behaviour, she will nip at his back, chase him and so forth and then the male curls around her to make her relaese the eggs and he fertilizes them and then start putting the eggs in the nest and this will happen several times over a period of several hours. After spawning he will become agressive and chase the female away. But as I said this will happen only if the female is responsive which is probably less likey to happen in a community tank. Just noticed you posted some time ago. What happend with your gouramis?

Thanks!

Sorry, what do you mean about what happened to my gouramis? :)

Sadly, his nest keeps on getting destroyed. Either by my cories coming to the surface or by the current. The male is always rebuilding his nest but it never lasts for long. The female seems somewhat interested and is showing some interest in him even though he sometimes chases her away

Thanks

Hey, sorry probably my poor English. What I meant was how did it go but you answered that already. Looks like the best way to go is another tank but that's not always possible. Another thing you can do is feed them some blood worms to condition them. The high protein diet will get them to a prime breeding condition and might encorage them to go for it. The best filter for breeding gouramis is a sponge because the filter doesn't disturb the nest but again you would probably want to have that in another tank. I think the male chasing the female is normal behaviour. Keep us posted!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom