Buenos Aries Tetra Baby!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
OMG! I was changing the water and doing a gravel vac tonight. When I got done, I shut the lights off in the living room and sat down so that my eyes were about level with the bottom of the tank. I usually do this to sit and watch my cory catfish. Well, something small seemed to be floating near the bottom. So I looked closer thinking maybe it was left over food from tonight's feeding that escaped me and the gravel vac.

It appeared to be moving and not in a water current sort of movement. So I got my glasses and sat down slowly and peered closer. OMG! It's a tiny Buenos Aries Tetra! Now when the heck did that happen!?!?! I thought all those fish would eat the eggs and fry. This guy looks almost the size of my glowlights when I first got them! He has that unmistakable black thingy on his tail and the fins that indicate he's a tetra rather than one of my danios. How freaking cool! How has he survived without baby food?

Yay me! Where there were six there are now seven!

Very cool!! You almost never hear of tetra babies surviving in tanks.

By the way, it's kinda neat that you spelled the fish's name "Buenos Aries" tetra, coz this guy was almost certainly born between March 21 and April 19... :lol:

But I still think he's Argentinian in origin, and thus a "Buenos Aires" Tetra :wink:

madasafish said:
But I still think he's Argentinian in origin, and thus a "Buenos Aires" Tetra :wink:

Gah...you know you're right. I have been spelling it wrong all along. ::snicker:: Ah well...as long as everyone knows what I mean! ;)

That is too cool! I have a nice crop of baby serpae tetras in my 55, and when I moved last weekend I found more babies, so they went in the bucket with all of the other fish (adult angel included) and the babies did not get eaten. I think it is the plant cover that helps, but I would never have expected babies to live for long in there. Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom