Can anyone tell me if these Gouramis are male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can speak from experience, it’s true it’s hard to get any female dwarfs. But I do have 2 powder blue dwarfs, and I can say that their colour is very close to yours. The females would be much lighter and paler.
Now the 2nd one, is that a honey gourami?

I’m not sure? I’m still new to all of this. They were in the dwarf gourami tank. My guess was sunset?

Thanks, y’all! So is it okay to have both males in a 29 gallon? I’ve read yes and no. Should I take one back? And get a female or two instead?

Thanks, y’all! So is it okay to have both males in a 29 gallon? I’ve read yes and no. Should I take one back? And get a female or two instead?

Depends on the temperament of each fish, one will likely become "dominant" and could bully the other.

Since you already have them, let them be for now and observe. If one is really bullying the other than maybe look into re homing it, or add a female or 2 if you can find them (dwarf females are fairly rare to come across in the pet industry).

Depends on the temperament of each fish, one will likely become "dominant" and could bully the other.

Since you already have them, let them be for now and observe. If one is really bullying the other than maybe look into re homing it, or add a female or 2 if you can find them (dwarf females are fairly rare to come across in the pet industry).

May I make a suggestion if they don’t get along. I have 2 powder blues I brought home together without knowing better. I stupidly thought they could use each other’s company.It was my 1st fish when I entered the hobby last year. Because they were both the same size none got bullied but they use to antagonize each other. I ended up dividing the tank in half with a live plant and gave them both their own cave, and I feed both sides of this community tank so everyone is happy.They both got their own real estate. I catch each of them sneaking over to the others area and then waiting until they get chased back. Here’s a older pic, I’ve since trimmed it back so they and the other community fish got room to buzz around. I like them a lot.
IMG_0144.jpg

For future reference, female DGs are pretty bland, dull silver in color. You will rarely see them in stores because of this.

It really depends on the fish, but odds are they won't get along. Most gourami males are quite territorial and don't play well with others. If you have a bigger tank and a lot of hides, it may work, but I don't think they'll get along. If it were me, I'd return or re home one of the two fish.

May I make a suggestion if they don’t get along. I have 2 powder blues I brought home together without knowing better. I stupidly thought they could use each other’s company.It was my 1st fish when I entered the hobby last year. Because they were both the same size none got bullied but they use to antagonize each other. I ended up dividing the tank in half with a live plant and gave them both their own cave, and I feed both sides of this community tank so everyone is happy.They both got their own real estate. I catch each of them sneaking over to the others area and then waiting until they get chased back. Here’s a older pic, I’ve since trimmed it back so they and the other community fish got room to buzz around. I like them a lot.
View attachment 308621

Love this idea!

Overhere in Holland, we have both genders offered at stores. About 3 weeks ago I went to one of our wholesalers in the country and saw also a couple of tanks with both genders in them.
Btw, besides the color difference adult female dwarf gouramis do have both round edged anal and dorsal fin. While an adult male has at least one pointy fin (anal or/and dorsal fin).

Overhere in Holland, we have both genders offered at stores. About 3 weeks ago I went to one of our wholesalers in the country and saw also a couple of tanks with both genders in them.

Btw, besides the color difference adult female dwarf gouramis do have both round edged anal and dorsal fin. While an adult male has at least one pointy fin (anal or/and dorsal fin).

Thanks for the info!!!!

Back
Top Bottom