Can fish NOT deliver fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a possibility that a fish not deliver her fry? Mine has been pregnant now for what seems like well over the 28 days, prob. close to 5 weeks, going on 6. It is a dalmation molly, we took out the male about 2 weeks ago, tried a breeder net but she had freaked out a bit so we took her out of that. She is still eating and swimming normally like usual. I am giving her frozen blood worms 3 x's a week and increased the temp just a bit as someone suggested, between 80-81 degrees. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Can this harm her or she die if she doesn't have the fry. She just looks so big...if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it! Thanks! :? [/b]

Live Breeders can hold onto their fry for a long time if they do not feel comfortable in their surroundings to drop them. Do you have plenty of plants and cover for the fry to hide in? Is it the first time she has been pregnant? I had a platy that held onto her fry until she died. The lfs said that sometimes the fry get "stuck" and then cause the mother to die. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do in that situation.

How are the water parameters?

It is the first time she had been pregnant, (that I know of since I just got her the end of December) she may have had fry at the lfs? All my water parameters are on Q, my pH has been a bit high but I am doing weekly water changes to try and decrease that, and most people said the fish normally will adapt to the higher pH. The lfs recommended some pH down drops but I would rather not add chemicals to the water :?: I have a few plants that are fake and also a shark cave, but can get more if that would help. I am sad to hear that your fish died due to this...I am trying all I can to make it more "comfortable" for her, any other suggestions would be fantastic! Thanks! :(

I ended up getting more plants for the bottom so she can hide the fry and also a small cave just in case she delivers during the night when I can't catch it in time...I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait, never even imagined I would get this attached!

You should also have some plants that reach all the way to the top of your tank, IME livebearer fry hang out at the top of the tank, almost never below...And if they don't have cover at the top of the tank their chances to be eaten are allot bigger. You can't be right next to your tank all the time to catch the fry.

You could also try to do a larger (30%) water change, that sometimes helps too. My 3 female guppies gave birth within 2 hours after I did a big water change.

HTH!

Yes the molly can hold on to her fry. I've had it happen. Definately having enough cover for her fry can make her feel more comfortable and doing a water change sure can't hurt the situation. What are your other tankmates? I have tons of livebearer fry, both guppies and mollies and have plants to the top of the tank, but all my fry hide at the bottom in the roots of the plants.

all I have is an african dwarf frog and clown pleco and 1 more female molly, male was taken out weeks ago. I do have more cover I can place that floats to the top if not weighted down. I will try that today to see if that helps at all. How long did your molly hold on to the fry? weeks, months? did she survive. I am nervous she is going to die if she doesn't deliver this fry soon...thanks

I am so afraid of that it is freaking me out. I put some cover up top today to see if that would help. Everyone keeps telling me to look for the gravid spot next to the anal fin but she is a dalmation molly and very spotted anyway, any other ideas about what to look for when they are getting ready?

When she is close to giving birth she will most likely find a quiet hiding place. Most livebearers hide in plants or in some rocks to give birth.

Just relax, no need to stress yourself over something that will happen naturally. (I told this to my wife during her pregnancy, but did not get a pleasant response - even though it was true)

Watch her when she eats, and if she continues to eat regularly, that is a positive indication that nothing is wrong.

bman said:
Just relax, no need to stress yourself over something that will happen naturally. (I told this to my wife during her pregnancy, but did not get a pleasant response - even though it was true)

Watch her when she eats, and if she continues to eat regularly, that is a positive indication that nothing is wrong.

You told this to a pregnant woman? 8O . You are a brave man! LOL

bman....you are brave...coming from a labor and delivery nurse I think that is why I am so interested in this whole experience! I know the signs of natural labor in adults so I am just interested in the aquarium aspect. I never realized I would get this attached, if something happens to her...well you know! You are right, it will happen when it happens then I can let out a huge sigh of relief. She is eating fine, she is beginning to hide in the cover today and swim a bit more irradicatly the past few hours. I guess it is just in my 14 years of doing L&D that I know all the other signs I am not used to this watch and wait...when I can check and see in the human world...bman...I can see where you didn't get a pleasant response, I remember my husband telling me at the very end, (going natural) that I would feel "a little pressure honey" I won't go into detail about what I said...lol That was our second and last son! Thanks again!

I have a molly that isn't an "Average" breeder and she holds her fry for 3-5 months instead of the 1-2 months normal mollies go through. I wouldn't be too worried, she'll give em up when she feels fine :)

Back
Top Bottom