can I breed older bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 male bettas at my house right now, one is a couple months and one is a year. could i breed one with a younger female.
:thanks:

You want the size difference to be minimal more than the age difference. Larger males can be very aggressive with immature or first time breeding females so you want the sizes the be close so that the female can defend herself.

Hope this helps

I would say it depends on how they are prepared and the set up. I spawn mine in an extra deep plastic sweater box. I put the male in for a few days and once he appears adjusted I place the female in the box inside of a mason jar. The male will wear himself down within two days and build a nest while he is doing so. To keep stress down for both fish, fill the jar with the female in it about 1 1/2"-2" higher than the water line in the sweater box. She will go to the top and they can no longer see each other. When I place them together, I use two mason jars with water angled so the female can swim around to avaid the male if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom