can i cross breed.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d1anonly22

Aquarium Advice Freak
an american cichlid with an african cichlid. i wanna start cross breeding my dempsey with certain african cichlids but dont know if its possiable.

When I looked at the scientific name of the jack dempsey and the list of African cichlids I didn't find anything that was a close enough match to make it possible.

well ive heard of people cross breeding them, and i want to have some fun with my jacks. i would love to breed my jacks with a Altolamprologus compressiceps (kalambo), and i wanna cross breed my Melanochromis johannii with a Julidochromis marlieri (burundi).

I'm not sure how it works totally, but the matching is probably something like the genus specie, like dogs are all canis familares, but fish they have their own families and stuff.

A guppy is Poecilia Libestes Reticulata and an endler is Poecilia wingei the both are Poecilia so they can hybridize. Gourami like the kissing gourami Helostoma temminckii and the dwarf gourami Colisa lalia can't hybridize. When looking at hybridizing animals there has to be enough in common for the offspring to develop.
I remember when the first endlers came on the market and sold as guppies. I got a female and learned in a hurry that there was a big difference when it come to trying to line breed with hybrids. I did ace my biology but I don't think it was worth it. I was never happy with the offspring.

To cross-breed, they need to have the same genus (the first part of the scientific name). To cross breed with a JD, the other fish would have to be in the Cichlasoma genus (i.e. Red Terrors, etc). There are no African cichlids in this genus, so it would not be possible for them to cross breed.

so that mean something like my electric blues scientific names is melanochromis johannii i can only cross breed with another melanochromis and not a julidochromis marlieri (burundi)?

so does anyone know what cichlids i can cross my jacks with, i looked for a genus gallery but could only find one for african cichlids

That isn't strictly true - genus is at best an educated guess as to the biological relationship between species, and it isn't based on the ability to crossbreed by any stretch of the imagination. It does help you guess, but just finding a random species that shares the genus name is more likely than not unable to produce offspring.

and in some cases offspring will be infertile.. i personally dont think that there is anything wrong with hybrids as long as they arent sold marked as a pure species.. i mean, alot of our regular aquarium variety of community fish where hybrids of wild fish then line bred for specific traits... thats why there is sometimes alot of differences with wild caught a aquarium variety of the same fish.. go for it and let us know your progress.

I don't think anybody ever said there's something wrong with hybrids. I don't understand the fascination myself, but if that's what you want to do...

I don't think anybody ever said there's something wrong with hybrids. I don't understand the fascination myself, but if that's what you want to do...

i know, its more of a my personal opinion as stated.. and im all for it :cool:

now that im thinking about this thread, i wonder what a nanoluteus and redpoint cross would look like. they should cross breed as they are both "convict" types..

There's also the possibility that while the fish may be genetically compatible for interbreeding, they may not "like" each other enough to breed.

wow, a lot of info thanks peeps, so my list of cichlids i wanna cross is huge and im going to have it posted probably late tonight like around ten, if anyone wants to check it out and give there opion on what would be a good cross breed.

gzeiger is correct in saying that being in the same genus does not mean species will breed together or not. Taxonomic ranks (e.g., families, genera and even species) are entirely arbitrary, even if they are natural (monophyletic - that is, include all descendants of a single common ancestor). Such natural groups are identified by the exclusive sharing of derived characters (synapomorphies). Sharing of primitive characters (symplesiomoprhy) does not indicate a close relationship. For example, lungfishes and coelacanths are more closely related to land vertebrates (tetrapods) than to other fishes because they share a number of derived features with land vertebrates. The presence of scales and fins (both primitive features in bony fishes) in lungfishes, coelacanths and other bony fishes is irrelevant, and does not indicate a close relationship.

Thirty years ago, the late Don Rosen (former fish curator at the American Museum of Natura History) noted that various poeciliid fish species hybrized with each other, while others did not. He further noted that some of the closely related species did not hybridize, while more distantly related ones did. He concluded that the ability to reproduce was in fact a primitive characteristic, and not indicative of close relationship. This was a major blow for the prevailing "biological species concept" of the time - which argued that reproductive isolation was the primary indicator of a species.

Hope that helps a bit - though sorry about the jargon.

As for crossing New World and African cichlids, I can't imagine anything good will come of it. I suspect you will end up with a lot of dead breeders (I particularly worry about how such distantly related, aggressive fish will behave towards each other), and even if you are successful, some pretty ugly (and no doubt unhealthy) offspring.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom