Can Molly fry survive into community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I just saw my Molly giving birth to a single fry, I knew she was due anytime soon and had tried to catch her today but she was having none of it. And I didn't want to stress her out.
So now I'm going to have to let nature take its course.
Just wondering is there any chance that any of the fry will survive.
The fish in the tank are
4 adult corys and 2 little ones
5 buenos aires tetras
12 neons
2 male mollies
5 female mollies
1 bn pleco

Hi I just saw my Molly giving birth to a single fry, I knew she was due anytime soon and had tried to catch her today but she was having none of it. And I didn't want to stress her out.
So now I'm going to have to let nature take its course.
Just wondering is there any chance that any of the fry will survive.
The fish in the tank are
4 adult corys and 2 little ones
5 buenos aires tetras
12 neons
2 male mollies
5 female mollies
1 bn pleco
Hey Tommy. The most likely way they will survive, is if you have some dense plants(real or fake) in the tank for the fry to hide in. ALL those fish are a threat to the fry apart form the pleco and corys. The fry are super quick but so are those tetras and neons!!!

also, if you're thinking about removing them from the tank to keep them away from predators, in my experience, that's almost always killed them. provide hiding spots and, in the future, move mom to a less hostile tank if possible before she gives birth.

The only sure fire way fry will survive is to separate mom into her own tank with water from her big tank until she releases the fry, then take mom out. I never had much luck with any fry surviving in a community tank. Any babies I have found in big tank I capture them in a large drinking glass (very gently) and put them in their own tank/container that contains water from the community tank.

Using a net can harm the delicate fry.

I guess time will tell so. There are a lot of places to hide so maybe one or two will survive. I had 2 cory fry survive. I didn't even know they were there until last night, they are about 1 cm long now so they should be safe.

My black mollie had 7 fry and I put them in a floating breeder box and when they were 6 weeks old, I let them loose in the tank and all seem to be surviving and getting bigger every day. Also I had a black/gold mollie that had about 23 fry and I did the same thing and all have survived in the community tank. I have 2 dalmations,
one black female, 7 neons, 1 yellow platy, one panda platy and one beta male. They all get together just fine.

Back
Top Bottom