Can my platy give birth again after just having fry about 4 days ago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

violin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can my platy give birth again after just having fry about 4 days ago?
Right now my platy is still very large, possible black dot/s on abdomen, and was gulping at the top of the tank…
Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Female platies can sometimes give birth to a few young and then hold off giving birth to the remaining young for a few days. This is normally caused by stress and the female doesn't like something in the area, so she holds onto them a bit longer.

If the female is gasping at the surface, that is a bad sign and could be a water quality issue (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), or a health problem (gill issue or internal issues).

-----------------

Can you post a picture of her and the entire tank, and a 1 minute video of her gasping?
You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

Is the female eating well?
What does her poop look like?

How long has the tank been set up for?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

What other fish are in the tank with her?
How many babies did she produce the other day?

Sorry I couldn't get the video, but yes she is eating well and her poop is brown or whitish dependent on when she was last fed. The tank has been set up for about 3 months with 2 females (so I don't know how she got pregnant in the first place) and the water levels are all in the normal ranges. I change the water about once a month and about 1/3 of the water is changed, yes I do dechlorinate the water before adding it to the tank, yes I also clean the gravel substrate. I have an internal power filter by Tetra, and I clean the filter whenever I clean the rest of the tank. There is one other female in the tank with her and there were at least 5 fry who survived. Thank you so much, here is a link to the pictures.
https://sites.google.com/view/platypictuers/home?authuser=1

if a fish is eating well but does white poop some or all of the time, it's usually intestinal worms.

you want to do water changes more than once a month. They should be done at least once every 2 weeks and once a week is better. It helps to dilute nutrients more and keeps the water cleaner.

Must be they can. Happened to my sister, seriously.

Platy dropping fry with a pause...

Yes, they can. Not only because of what Colin has already stated. But it can also happen when one or more eggs have more nutrients in them. When pre-fertilization happens, it means that before an egg is fertilized, the female provides the eggs of nutrients when egg development takes place. In general, all eggs of the same batch will have the same amount of nutrients which will cause that the embryos will have the same gestation period which will result in birth of all fry at the same day. But when an egg has more nutrients, the embryo in such an egg will develop faster and will be born earlier than its siblings. This is a different story than dealing with superfetation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom