Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My platy is in its early stage of pregnancy, but I put it in the breeder box in case it gives birth (because there are occasions where the platy can look thinner during pregnancy because its carrying less eggs.) but emerald76 made a good point about how keeping the platy in the breeder for a long time can stress it out. I want it to give birth soon!

Is there any way to speed it up, like feed it lots of proteins so the eggs inside grow faster? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

higher water temps would speed the pregnancy a little, but only by a couple days, and i would honestly take her out, the stress of going in a breeder box early can actually make them abort the pregnancy. if the fry have plenty of hiding places some will make it, and about 4 weeks after that there may be another batch, so if this is the first she has had with you, its onlt the first of many, so i wouldnt stress, or stress her. good luck!

Tags
platy, platys, pregnancy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com