Catching Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a special trick or something to catch fry? All mine hide out in the bottom of the tank in plants and I just can't even catch one.

marge02144 said:
Is there a special trick or something to catch fry? All mine hide out in the bottom of the tank in plants and I just can't even catch one.

If they're small enough, siphon them out as gently as possible.

marge02144 said:
they're like 3 mm..won't that hurt them?

Do you want to move them to another tank? How long ago were they born? I think they will be fine as long as you get a nice wide tube

i have a big siphon, i can't use a cup because i have a tall tank and they're on the very bottom in the back..they were born maybe 2 days ago.

marge02144 said:
i have a big siphon, i can't use a cup because i have a tall tank and they're on the very bottom in the back..they were born maybe 2 days ago.

I think they will be fine. Youre moving them to a different tank? And forgot to ask but what kind of fry are they?

Just make sure your siphon has nothing inside blocking the tube, one of mine has a bigbplastix strainer inside so you cant suck up huge pieces. Just make surebits a nice direct path

for now, into a breeder net. then into a 10 gallon..platy fry

do you guys think putting a little food tablet inside the net and sticking the net at the bottom then pulling up when they go to the food will work?

Using a siphon is one a good idea. Just remember to use a large bucket and fill it with some water first.

Back
Top Bottom