Cichlids spawning / stimulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
What can I do to help get my cichlids to spawn as i dont know what else to do?

Water changes = 25% weekly with cold water refills.
Water quality = Perfect 8)
Habitat = Right for the fish (cichlids)
Food - Frozen or live sometimes flake.

Please help....

Thank You :D

For mine (not really sure if it is this that triggers the spawn, but it works for me) I raise the temp a degree or 2, and leave the lights on a little bit longer. I do these to simulate the Spring season. It is the season that most fish naturally spawn. I also like to up the frozen foods from once evey 3 days, to once everyother day.

I feed them 3 times a day, for two weeks, and they're sure to spawn within the week after these two weeks. I feed flakes in the morning, frozen bloodworms or daphnia in the afternoon, and an algae wafer in the evening. All of this should be fed sparingly.

Together with that, water changes every few days to keep up with the water quality. Once I see the female getting fat (with eggs), I start doing water changes with colder water.

But you posted you wanted to breed your puffers, what fish are you asking this for then? :lol: The angels?

Since you're at home studying the 3 times per day feeding thing shouldn't be a prob, right? :wink: But be very very carefull not to overfeed and foul up the water.

HTH!

Food is not a problem. This was for my angel fish and kribensis as i know that are getting ready but they normally need a push in the right direction.

I want to know the same sot of thing for my puffers as they to need a push in the right direction but i can not find much information on this type of pufferfish so all comments will be taken in seriously.

Thank YOU.

Back
Top Bottom