Cluster of eggs appeared under the filter !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auliv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All !

This is my first post on the forums; very excited to become part of the community!

Today I discovered a cluster of eggs on the window of my tank, just above the water level, as I removed the filter for cleaning.

Here is a photo:
UKdpSAd.png

The family in the tank is comprised of:
* 3 snails
* 3 medium gold fish
* 2 juvenile algea eaters
* 2 juvenile cat fish
* 1 mini lobster (which is target-fed every day to avoid temptation on the fish; which has worked great for the 6-months he's been here).

Considering the eggs are above the water, i can only thing of the snals having produced this.. but wanted to be sure, and mostly understand what to do for these eggs not to be eaten by the fish when they hatch. Should I move this to a smaller 10G breeding tank? and if this is the case, is there an article that describes how to handle these delicate things?

Thanks so much in advance for your help !!

Looks like mystery snail eggs. I suggest you search Mystery snail hatchery on you tube and lots of great videos pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here are pics of my hatchery and the shelf I put the eggs on to stay moist and warm above the water.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475273057.480019.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475273083.650117.jpg

Make sure your tank is cycled and stable before they hatch.

Thank you!

Thank you for the pointers, folks. Now that I now the name, it makes is a whole lot easier to find information on youtube. I'm going to try and built a small hatchery, using the aquarium water since it's cycled... And start a smaller aquarium for breeding... hope i'll get enough time to cycle that one !! :)

Thanks again and have a great week-end!

I usually leave my best snails in my main tank. The egg clusters are easy to spot and relocate.

If you want to optimize the number of young snails that will survive, do not put your adults in with the babies. Competition for food is fierce and very few may survive unless they are kept separate.

Your water isn't where the bulk of your nitrifying bacteria reside. Establish the tank with some media from your existing filter if possible.

What to feed baby freshwater snails

They hatched !!!

Thank you all for your help on this. I followed the recommendations of a youtube video and put the eggs in a separate container... a bunch of tiny little guys are now in the water, mostly staying at the water-line.

They are now in a dedicated 5Gallons tank with a properly cycled water. I put some regular fish-food in the water as well as an algea-waffle in there. But not quite sure how to feed them at this point.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

And thank you again to everyone !!!

WdrMJ63.png

Young snails need to be fed a calcium rich diet to support shell growth. Please feed them foods with calcium so they can grow fast and strong. I use this and I add some kale too. https://youtu.be/PDbhFDtj7KY

Back
Top Bottom