Cockatoo Apistos spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just thought I'd share an interesting experiance. I have 7 Cockatoo Apistos (3 male/4 female) in my 300 gallon tank. Two pairs have spawned, one at each end. The pair that is more visible is very interesting. I've spawned Kribs, Blue Rams & Bolivian Rams and the Cockatoos are deffinately unique.

First off the female, all 2/3" of her has fought off my Kabotia's without a problem. The others have not been able to do that.

The male guards from a distance but the female will signal to him, he will come over and gaurd the fry, she will get food and come back, he leaves and she spits the food out for the fry.

The fry are 2 weeks old and growing fast. The other spawn is 4 weeks old but I can't really see them. Just thought it was interesting.

you lucky! I have ALLWAY'S wanted cockatoo dwarfs and yours are spawning! congrats! I want pics please!!!!

I posted this 7 weeks ago and I thought I should up-date. Another two weeks after posting the fry disappeared. I was very disappointed.

Today I was doing a water change. My Glossostigma was getting a bit too thick and high so I was going to trim it down. I started out by siphoning it out and I sucked up a fish that immediately swam into a bunch of E. Stallata. It was the size of a small Otto. I though it was an Otto so I continued siphoning and pulled up three more Juvi fish. They turned out to be Cockatoos. I don't know how many their are, I have a lot of Glosso and in two siphons I pulled up four. Pretty exciting.

Oh, I'm so glad some made it! I love cockatoos as well. I do wonder how many are actually survivors in that huge tank.

Congratulations--

Back
Top Bottom