Conditioning for Breeding [Food question]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nippyfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently feed all my fish live and frozen foods even though I'm not breeding any. I'm wondering though, when i purchase dwarf gouramis for breeding will it better induce mating if I first feed them flake and pellet food and then make the more drastic switch to live and frozen once I'm ready to condition them? OR Will a steady diet of live and frozen from the start be fine?

I guess what I'm wondering is, will the change from one to the other actually help provoke breeding?

Thanks

OK. In spite of what you've read...... If the fish are healthy and the water conditions to their liking it makes no difference what you feed. You can't condition fish to spawn with diet.

Sometimes fish will be induced to spawn by a change in water temp. I would start the male out in a temp of 80F. Provide plenty of floating plants such as duckweed. When you see the females becoming egg laden, do a 30% water change and drop the temp to 76 or 77 and that should get him to begin building the bubblenest.

HTH

Some people seperate the fish and feed them live foods Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms. The High protien diet is to encourage egg production. Its a proven fact that a higher protien diet will cause more egg production. As far as spawning them I would say lighting, temp and water quality will cause the fish to spawn. I Do not know exactly which parameters will help spawn gourami's But the live foods and high protien couldnt hurt ;)

Back
Top Bottom