CONGO TETRAS mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do they mate? does the male fertilize the egg after their laid, or does he fertilize her first?
right now they chase each other but not to fight. they kinda do a little dance by vibrating their fins and quickly seperate and start the chace again. am i going to be a granpa? will my other fish eat the fry?

The eggs are fertilized externally. The female lays them and the males fertilizes them as they are released. Generally with fish flying in all directs and lots of swimming bumping and general mayhem. The fish not spawning do their best to eat all the eggs as fast as they are laid. You need to separate a pair into a breeding tank with marbles on the bottom so the eggs are safe from the parents.

ice thanks.. so i need to set up a hole other tank. filter, marvels, frsh new water, pretty much start a nother tank over? will i need good cover for them? they seem to dance more under a tree trunk i have their. an how long does it take for them to hatch?

You would need to set up a tank. A ten would probably be large enough. Put in some floating plants for cover, plastic is fine. Add a layer of marbles on the bottom. You can fill it with water from the main. A sponge filter with seeded in the other tank is fine. The female is added and fattened on good fresh food. When she looks full of eggs add the a good healthy male. If things right the pair should spawn in a day or two, if not reset and try again. The eggs will hatch in a day and the fry are tiny, you will need tiny food to feed them. Read up on spawning tetras, it is a challenge but you will have a great sense of satisfaction if you do it successfully.

Thanks!!'
I'm taking my *** to store an picking up a 10 galling today.
This fish do this ritual every day. I noticed it a month ago. I could of already had fry then. Lol

Back
Top Bottom