Considering breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arklok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think it would be fun to breed a couple liters of hopefully pure endlers just for the experience. How much of a minimum time commitment would that be? I work everyday and such.

I think it would be fun to breed a couple liters of hopefully pure endlers just for the experience. How much of a minimum time commitment would that be? I work everyday and such.

If you want to start breeding endlers, I would pick only one strain to start. You will need the following tanks for a bare minimum setup(IMO)-
1-2.5g
3-10g
1-5g
The tens are for separating the sexes of fry so they don't interbreed and for growing out newborns. The five is for one trio of your chosen strain. The 2.5 is for birthing females. A wooden or metal tank rack would easily hold these tanks in a closet or your basement somewhere. You'll need the following other items-
Buckets
Brine shrimp eggs and hatchery
Fake plants
Dechlor
Buckets
Siphon
Specimen cup
Nets
A good pellet food, like Hikari Fancy Guppy.
Sponge or box filters

Every day, you will need 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to feed and examine the fish, plus do small water changes on the fry tanks. Some water changes can be skipped occasionally if you are busy.
Every week each tank needs a 50% water change and siphon, for about 1 hour of work.
So all in all about 3-4 hours a week.
PM me if you have any questions, or I can just answer here.

Cool. Thank you.

That seems totally reasonable. I think I could make the time and resources with pleasure.
I'll prolly hold off on the project however simply because I feel it would be terribly unproductive.

Tempting though. I love to stare at my fish and dream about advancing the tanks development.

SS

Cool. Thank you.

That seems totally reasonable. I think I could make the time and resources with pleasure.
I'll prolly hold off on the project however simply because I feel it would be terribly unproductive.

Tempting though. I love to stare at my fish and dream about advancing the tanks development.

SS

Endlers are in many cases worth as much as guppies when sold to the public, so why not try?

Well I figure I'd rather just get a bigger tank. A 45 gallon breeder style actually. 120 bucks for the whole setup including stand. Is that a good deal?

Well I figure I'd rather just get a bigger tank. A 45 gallon breeder style actually. 120 bucks for the whole setup including stand. Is that a good deal?

I think it would be good if you divide it in half with a small plastic mesh and fill it with tons of plants. Put adults on one side and fry can swim over to the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom