Convict cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My convict cichlids have bred and are raising there first batch of fry. I currently have 1 pair in a 29 gallon. I am thinking about getting a 55 gallon next week. My question is should I leave the mated pair in the 29 gallon and let that be the breeding tank and set up the 55 gallon for the grow out tank. Or should I make the 55 gallon the breeding tank and the 29 gallon the grow out? I also have a 5 gallon planted tank that I use for a night light but I don't think that's big enough for a grow out tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What do you plan to do with hundreds of convicts of any size? Or any fish, for that matter? Most SA or CA cichlids will happily spawn repeatedly before taking a break, then start again and spawn some more. If you raise even a single brood you'll have more than it will be easy to get rid of IME. Convicts in particular are too commonly available and cheap to be worth the effort of raising if you hope to sell them when they're large enough. Your best bet would be to add a few raphael or bumblebee catfish to the tank to eat at least some of the fry.

What do you plan to do with hundreds of convicts of any size? Or any fish, for that matter? Most SA or CA cichlids will happily spawn repeatedly before taking a break, then start again and spawn some more. If you raise even a single brood you'll have more than it will be easy to get rid of IME. Convicts in particular are too commonly available and cheap to be worth the effort of raising if you hope to sell them when they're large enough. Your best bet would be to add a few raphael or bumblebee catfish to the tank to eat at least some of the fry.

I have talked with the owners of 2 LPS that said they will buy from me. I told them that I would sell them cheaper than their supplier. It's something that I enjoy doing so the money isn't really what I'm worried about. Both of my Local pet stores sell 1 inch convicts for 4.99 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most SA or CA cichlids will happily spawn repeatedly before taking a break, then start again and spawn some more.
This is why I'm starting to view my convicts as more of a pest that a pet. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom