Cory breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoked

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have a male and female. I know for sure because they do the whole spawning routine almost non stop. At first I just let them do it in community tank and no luck. I then tried removing the eggs and still nothing. I even got them a tank just for spawning and they laid all kinds of eggs. I then removed both male and female and let the eggs be. I have all the right water parameters. The breeding tank even has its own filter but still nothing. Is it possible that my male is sterile? Or do I just have that bad of luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just because they laid eggs doesn't mean there is a male. Did they do the "T"?

Fishobsessed7

Yes if I was to take a video it would look like any one you could find on the Internet of them breeding. Trust me it's a male and female I know what to look for and they spawn and do the "T" almost every day the female gets so worn out I often find her laying on her side breathing very heavy. So I have to take her out for a bit and as soon as she is back in they go at it again. I'm not sure what the deal is

Hard to say. Eggs may not hatch if they get fungus on them, or are sterile, and some eggs in a batch might not be viable no matter the parents. It's good to give them a break though, I had a fish I'm pretty sure wore herself out with spawning 'til she died, poor thing. A Daisy rice fish, not a cory, but still, she spawned every day and I think I should have separated them periodically. Just the one pair I had.

I wonder if perhaps things would do better if you had more cories ? You don't say how many you have altogether, but they do prefer to live in groups, so maybe if you got some more, you'd have success ? If you managed to get more females, it would certainly take some of the pressure off this one female.

I heard it helps to have a 2:1 male to female ratio

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom