Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: What to do with the cory eggs
Gently remove with finger onto plastic plant leaf to another tank 0 0%
Keep eggs in &add more plants 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cory catfish eggs

Do cory catfish eggs & parents absolutely need to be separated..? I've read so many things saying they need to(only one that said its fine if there's plants??) & I agreed with separating so I always moved my eggs into a different aquarium. The thing is the eggs were never actually fertilized.. This time at least a dozen trial batches of eggs later, something is different. I saw the male dancing with the female in they l that "t"position. I swear he fertilized them this time. Also there's at least 3x more eggs than usual. Biggest thing I noticed.... The parents haven't touched the eggs what so ever since they were laid a day &a half ago. The eggs are always usually eaten up in less than a couple hours... Is it possible I can just leave the eggs. Or is that A horrible idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-911610934.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	318155  

Old 09-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

All depends on how many fry you want.
I had C sterbai that would eat their eggs right after laying them or later when searching for a place to lay more. I had Albino aneus that spewed eggs everywhere and never touched them. The aneus were from very old domesticated lines while my sterbai were either F2 or F3 from wild. I did get sterbai fry when I removed the eggs. I got less fry when I left the eggs in the tank with the breeders with the plants they laid on. I did not get aneus fry. So it is not ABSOLUTELY required to remove, it can up your chances of more fry tho.

Tags
catfish, cory, cory cat, cory catfish, egg, eggs, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com