cory eggs getting moldy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
last sunday (10/20) my albino cories spawned laying a brood of about 75 eggs, i moved them into a foster tank for fear of them eating the young, so the eggs are alone(besides a couple pesky snails) in a five gallon planted tank. two days ago i was beginning to see hints of fuzz on the eggs and now it looks really bad. what i'm wondering is if the little guys still have a chance of hatching, or if i should just give up and pull the eggs out. anybody?

Fungus on cory eggs

Probably too late for this batch by now but...they will breed like rats if given the right conditions and you will soon be over run with them. This is, of course, a good thing :) Next time, move the eggs to their own tank. Put an airstone under them to provide some gentle current. Treat the water with some methelyne blue to control the fungus. If any eggs do begin to show the white fuzz, all is not lost. Remove the bad eggs with a razor blade and leave the others...they may not get it. It is usually an infertile egg or eggs that gets the fungus. It will, however, spread to the others if not removed quickly. As soon as they hatch, drop the water level in the tank to about 2 inches. Raise the level slowly as they grow. This makes it easier for them to get to the top and get air. I have had much better luck this way. Hope this helps. Gotta love those corys!
Logan J

the fungus pretty much took care of all eggs, and then an unlikely fish ate the rest of them. hopefully they spawn again, and i can do it right this time. thanks for the advice.

Spawning Corys

Feed them well...all the frozen bloodworms they want. Ratio is preferably two or even three males to one female. After you have them in top condition, if they haven't started the doing the T dance (for lack of a better description), here's what to try...after you stop laughing. I know this is going to sound crazy but...remove a little water from the tank...about 4". Then take a CLEAN plant watering can with the big end that produces lots of little streams and fill it with cool water. Pour this back and forth across the surface of the tank. You want to simulate a cool rain. The start of the wet season is what triggers them to breed in the wild. You also want to cool the water 3-5 degrees. They will usually have spawned by the next morning. Remove the eggs, but don't separate the fish...they may very well spawn several more times laying eggs each time.
Logan J

Methylene blue

Like Crazeee said, med dept at the LFS. You probably don't have to use the blue though...it's just what I always used. I, and I'm guessing here :? , would think you could use any antifungal agent that is approved for aquatic use. One thing I forgot to mention is that about 24-36 hrs after the eggs are laid, the fertilized eggs will have a dark appearance. The ones that are white are not fertilized and will develop the fungus.
Logan J

ok, most ppl know i am a little paranoid by now, but i have always seen methylene blue recommended for eggs, not anything else, if you really want them to do well i would be afraid to experiment on them with another med--seems that if fry are sensitive to certain meds that don't bother adults , then eggs may be the same?

Back
Top Bottom