Cory fry ok during wc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarthell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have several fry and eggs from both the duplicareus and pygmy. Problem is I do a water change of 30% every week and today is the day. Im concerned about losing fry in the process. Can the eggs be exposed to air? I refill with my RO unit so it takes a couple of hours to finish and most of the eggs are near the water line.

Parameters are fine. 0-0-10(20). Should I wait another week and just add water instead. I don't have another tank or the patience to corral the fry so they have to stay in the tank during the wc. What do you think?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I left mine alone untill I could see them. as long as the water is ok.

Fry are usually ok but it's not normally a good idea to expose eggs to air, especially for that length of time. Can you roll them down the glass so they stay below the water line?

Fry are usually ok but it's not normally a good idea to expose eggs to air, especially for that length of time. Can you roll them down the glass so they stay below the water line?

I considered this, but made no effort to do so as the majority of the eggs disappeared before I changed the water. I assume they hatched, but there are snails in the tank - however I haven't seen any snails eat the eggs. I even watched a snail go right past a cluster of them on the glass.

Since I didn't have the proper food for the fry yet, I decided to go about my regular wc schedule. Three days ago I started Walter, Banana, and Micro worm cultures, so the next batch of fry should have something to eat. :fish1:

First time trying to keep fry alive so any advice is welcome.

The cory's themselves are pretty and parents, and usually end up eating the eggs. They should be fine though in the tank during a wc.

Nils

Best of luck! I remove the eggs from the glass and put them in a breeder box under the filter outflow, then just move it and wait for them to hatch. The fry are super small so I had to kind of rig it up since the slots were bigger then them. I fed mine hikari first bites multiple times a day and cleaned in between. After a few weeks I released them into the tank and made sure to provide a lot of cover.
The biggest thing is keeping airflow on the eggs and removing any that fungus, but other than that it's pretty straightforward. It took me a few tries and I had to increase my group to get success but it's so awesome to see :)

Back
Top Bottom