Cory madness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I started up a cory breeding tank. Yay!!!
I tried to select species which I haven't found any documentation for crossbreeding, and had to throw a few oddballs in there until I get my 40b up and running so I can segregate.
I've already found 6 eggs - I don't know from who. They were in the breeder box and then poof disappeared, usually the cory fry are small enough to escape the slots so I'm hoping they just wiggled their way into the tank and that I'll see them in a few weeks.

Current stock consists of:
6x corydoras "schwartzi black"
4x corydoras zygatus
2x corydoras rabauti
3x corydoras ambiacus
1x corydoras delphax
1x brochis splendens
11x aspidoras sp.
7x corydoras pygmaeus
1x corydoras elegans

I'm supposed to be picking up 5 more brochis and 15 habrosus this week as well....I'm hoping the brochis don't turn out to be aenus...this LFS is terrible with that kind of stuff...but I get the habrosus as "pygmies" for .99 each so I can't complain.
The plan is to increase the numbers of: rabauti, brochis, pygmaeus
Add other groups as I can find them (sodalis or reticulatus, guapore, similis, some others)
And I will move the zygatus, ambiacus, elegans, and delphax to the 40b until I decide what to do with them. I hate keeping loners or small groups so if I find someone that has others maybe I'll trade them. Plus ambiacus has a tendency to try to get it on with other species so I don't want to focus too much on anything until I get them a new spot.
I've also been having problems with trite readings even though I used heavily seeded media. So they get daily WC and Prime and they seem happy enough.
Tank is 30b with PFS, some hardscape, 2 sword plants, some val, echinodorus atlandsberg, madagascar lace, and a mountain of javamoss/bladderwort. Running an AC50 and sponge filter with 2 airstones.
ANYWAYs sorry for the rambling, pics to follow!

Ok here's some pics. The brochis' fin looks much better now, he came from a barb tank.

So your black corys that I posted about on your other thread look really similar to what I just purchased. I'm not able to get a pic just now but I will soon so we can compare. Where did you get them? How were they labeled?
Also what are the really long splotchy ones?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just replied to the other thread - they were labelled as corydoras schwartzi black and I got them from a local auction.
The splotchy kittens are the aspidoras. They were sold to me as aspidoras spilotus but that ID is clearly incorrect. They look similar to deppinae or c035 but without knowing their location of origin you can't really say what they are - there's a lot of cross breeding and conflict with aspidoras IDs.

Got 6 more c. Rabauti today IM SO PUMPED!!! Tried to order them countless times over the past two years and these LFS' keep trying to sell me zygatus. I gave it one last shot with the closest place (attempt #4 with them) and they pulled through! They're currently in QT I'm chomping at the bit to get them into the breeder tank.
Also got 4 more pygmaeus.
W00t!

Just for reference in post 2 the second pic is c. Zygatus and pic 6 is c. Rabauti

Got my first two fry from this tank today!
I keep the eggs in a slotted breeder box with an airline for 48 hours then move to an isolated container. They hatched within ten minutes of the move. Curious to see what they end up being! I have a feeling they belong to one of my two very fat aspidoras.

Definitely aspidoras and four more fry have appeared.
My other fish are reluctant to breed which I believe is attributed to:
Group specimens have not yet reached maturity
Ph is too high
Wild caught fish are more particular?
I vary my methods as far as timing for massive feedings of frozen and or live food and then couple it with cooler water changes. Gotta keep working toward the right combo I guess.
I'm thinking of making a rainfall simulator by making a diy gravity waterer like for pets but drill holes so it can drip out over time. Bought some supplies but that's it so far. I'm thinking that way I can gradually reduce water level and minorly increase temp, then do a big WC and fill the waterer with ice cubes or whatever and let it ride
I also increased aeration but not much activity. The aspidoras are laying like two eggs a day.

Looking forward to the rainfall simulator design you come up with. Perhaps you could trigger it to start late at night and finish at dawn. Personally I would have used red bulbs and jazz/Barry White but then again, I don't breed corys. Good luck with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hahaha I love the Jazz reference! How long has your tank been set up Egg?

Errmm no more than like two months? There is a massive thunderstorm happening right now so I put the aquasky on lightning mode. :p

I also open the windows and blow fans at the tank...drop in barometric pressure plus petrichor surface exchange...pretending at science!

Been pummeling the tank with live blackworms and then killed them all by accident so now I'm doing 50% WC daily with zero results. So aggravating! It poured yesterday too.

Translation:
Worm indulgence
A wormicide
Frantically trying to fix things in futility
Grrrrrr
Weather report

Hahahahah exactly.
I had better luck breeding cories when I had three of them in a tank that probably had six million ppm nitrates when I first started.
Still laughing hahahaha. Fresh you're killing me. Needed it. Trying to finish a midterm and I'm mushy brained at this point.

Back
Top Bottom