Corydoras Julii Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwampeastMike

Aquarium Advice Activist
Put two julii corys into a freshly cycled 160-gallon tank about 15 November last year. Tankmates are five adult blood red cichlids, one adult firemouth, one 18" plecostomus, and about 30 fancy guppies. Lots of natural stone in many sizes and a half dozen plastic plants.

Staple foods are cichlid pellets and flakes with freeze dried tubifex or fresh hatched brine shrimp 2-3 times a week.

The corys were no more than an inch long when purchased and have at least doubled in length.

Watching the fish yesterday afternoon I thought I saw a small cat. Huh? Watched some more and saw it again after looking for and seeing at least one of the two large ones. The little one stayed out for a few seconds this time so I had a very good look and was nearly positive I saw both of the larger ones in the corner of my eye.

I've bred a few egg layers in the past but such always required attention and a species tank.

Asked my partner to look who shortly told me I was hallucinating. We both looked and I found the little one again with the other two in plain sight! Three where there should be two.

The 160-gallon is my largest ever tank by far with the previous largest 70. Something tells me that size is the reason. Or does this happen in smaller tanks?

I dont breed fish, dont do anything to aid in the breeding of fish. The only fish that that produce babies for me are corys. My angelfish periodically lay eggs, but are terrible parents and just eat them after a few days. I presume that any eggs laid by other fish get hoovered up by the corys.

I dont breed fish, dont do anything to aid in the breeding of fish. The only fish that that produce babies for me are corys. My angelfish periodically lay eggs, but are terrible parents and just eat them after a few days. I presume that any eggs laid by other fish get hoovered up by the corys.

I thought corys hoovered up their own eggs just as happily. Guess they missed one or more.

Depends on the type of Cory. Some will eat their own eggs and some will not. Obviously they didn't eat this one. In a tank that size it is not unusual to have a few little ones survive. My Angelfish learned about the Corys spawning and now follow them around to eat the eggs.

Now have at least four of them with the newest the smallest by half at about 1 cm. It seems the original two have successfully spawned twice. There are piles of large irregular "lava rocks" that create numerous small "caves" utterly inaccessible to even the foot-long pleco.

I had planned to buy more of the corys. No need! At this rate I'll have a small school by the end of the year.

They're an actively breeding colony of nearly a dozen now! Believe I've seen them newly hatched when they're nearly black and about 1 1/2 cm.

Back
Top Bottom