Corys Spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Although my corys are constantly laying eggs in my tanks, I generally just let the eggs be eaten by the guppies. The other day I was breaking down a tank that was crowded and in need of a good cleaning. After removing all the guppies and the plastic plants I use to hide fry - lo and behold, tons of fresh cory eggs. I put a 1/4 teaspoon of methylene blue in the tank to prevent fungus. Three days later and I have about 125 tiny corys. Since I use no gravel in my tanks they are easy to spot. I put a spirulina wafer in the tank and about an hour later the were all over it. I just found another tank with about 300 eggs. If they are still there in the morning, I'll move the fish and plants and see if I can get another batch to hatch. If you've never seen them in the first few days you are really missing something. They look and swim exactly like spermatozoa. What a whoot. Of course this spawning happened 3 days after purchasing 200 corys from a local shop. FYI - contrary to most guppy breeders, I generally keep 4 or 5 corys in each tank. They are great at keeping the tank bottoms spotless and they save me hours of labor by not having to siphon mulm off the bottom of any of my tanks. And NO - they do not eat the babies. Healthy, viable ones, anyway.

Guppyman

that is sooooo cool! you da man GuppyMAN! I wanted to ask if anyone every had success with cory breeding.. What particular type are they bronze? panda? peppered? albino?

Cory Spawning

I'm going to start changing out some of the blue water, but even with a macro setting, I'm not sure if I can get a decent photo. You can fit all of them in a teaspoon with room to spare. At this age baby brine shrimp are too large a food. I'll give it my best shot and see what I come up with. - Guppyman

Wow

Guppyman, that is so COOOOL. I didn't know you kept cories in your guppy tanks. I didn't know they would lay eggs and spawn without gravel either--I always thought that egglayers had to lay their eggs in something that kind of hid them (leaves, rocks, etc).

Are you going to be able to use those hundreds of new cories in your new plant? How many tanks will you have total there?

Again, congrats :)

P.S. I am also anxious to see pix! Never seen cory fry.

Corys

I'm probably the only guppy breeder that keeps Corys in his tanks. I love them!!! I always get eggs on the side of my tanks.

Oh, yes! They'll get used. Facility #1 will house 200 - 10 G. tanks. Facility #2 will hold 400 - 10 G. tanks and 10 - 220 G. holding tanks.

The pix have been uploaded to my gallery but I don't think they've been approved, yet.

Guppyman

Hi Guppyman,

Can I ask you...are you the only person who takes care of all these tanks at your plants?! Or do you have a staff?

I checked your Gallery for pix, but the cory ones aren't up yet, so I guess they are still waiting for approval...

Hi,

No - I do about 90% of all the fish work, I have a 16 year old boy who helps with general maintenance and odd jobs and I have an intern from the college who works on the centralized system Also, I have 2 partners who handle all of the construction, plumbing, electrical and heating. It's a first class team and that's the only reason I am so successful.

The pix have been posted.

Guppyman

90% !!! Lordy, you really ARE The Guppyman :wink:

That is quite a job. Sounds fun, even though it also seems like a ton of work. So you basically live and breathe guppies!

Back
Top Bottom