Crossbreeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover1239

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help with my fishes. I bought a male guppy a few days ago and is now mating with my female swordtail:) I am wondering if any babies will come soon after this so i can prepare myself if this happens. Please respond soon:)

I dont think so. Anything is possible but fish dont normally cross species to breed. Not many do.

Guppies and swordtails are from the same family but a different genus. So...easy answer is no. Swords and platies are from the same family and genus so they can. I've heard of platy and Molly fry but the offspring is usually incapable of breeding.

Keep in mind that all female livebearers can store the sperm of a male and have multiple broods. This is why people think they crossbreed. I noticed this first hand with my guppies. I removed all the males and even two months after ALL the males were removed the females still dropped fry. Just keep that in mind.

Live bearers can also store sperm for weeks or even months.

Sounds like me a year ago. It is neat for the first few months then you realize you will end up with a couple dozen fry every 30 days. Then you have to find someone to take them as most LFS's won't take guppies on trade.

I'm not trying to scare you away from them but they are just extremely prolific breeders.

yep, I ended up trading a 5g bucket full of gups for some canister filters and HOB's. LFS's arent what they used to be, its really hard to get into them with livestock. I am in talks with a few LFS within 30 miles of me and they want the livestock but they dont want to give up anything in return.

Sounds like me a year ago. It is neat for the first few months then you realize you will end up with a couple dozen fry every 30 days. Then you have to find someone to take them as most LFS's won't take guppies on trade.

I'm not trying to scare you away from them but they are just extremely prolific breeders.
the next step is a bigger tank that keeps the fry in check. lol

problem is now that the swordtail is pregnant by the guppy will i get this wierd hybrid or something?:confused:The only male fish in my tank is that guppy so i know for sure that the swordtail got pregnant by the guppy.

Please reply soon:p

If your sword is pregnant it was prehit by something at the LFS they can store sperm for weeks or months, also they will hold until they are less stressed to have the fry.

I answered that in my first post...

Guppies and swordtails are from the same family but a different genus. So...easy answer is no. Swords and platies are from the same family and genus so they can. I've heard of platy and Molly fry but the offspring is usually incapable of breeding.

Keep in mind that all female livebearers can store the sperm of a male and have multiple broods. This is why people think they crossbreed. I noticed this first hand with my guppies. I removed all the males and even two months after ALL the males were removed the females still dropped fry. Just keep that in mind.

hmmmmmm, lets just hope she got pegnant by the guppy then i would get pretty cool fish .......LOL:p

Good news. The swordtail gave birth to 2 baby fishes. They are all doing fine and healthy. Oh yah the avatar that i have is the parents...:D

Thanks........the pics i dont think i can get because i do not know how to put them in my replies:confused: sorry

When you go on this, down below the post it says "Post Reply," click that and scroll down to manage attachments, click it. A new window will pop up, and you can browse for the pics you want. :)

Back
Top Bottom