Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

At the risk of starting an argument, I will throw in my $.02. I have no problem hatching brine shrimp in 18 to 14 hours at 80 F. As well, I would never reuse water if whole cysts are used. If you want to know why, sniff it. I generally decapsulate with bleach and then the water can be reused several times because the bacteria are not present, and there is no smell. Also, decapsulated cysts can be eaten by fry, so there is less waste.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
At the risk of starting an argument, I will throw in my $.02. I have no problem hatching brine shrimp in 18 to 14 hours at 80 F. As well, I would never reuse water if whole cysts are used. If you want to know why, sniff it. I generally decapsulate with bleach and then the water can be reused several times because the bacteria are not present, and there is no smell. Also, decapsulated cysts can be eaten by fry, so there is less waste.
No argument from me. That's great news!!! Can I ask what brand of eggs you are using with that result? I've used ( in the past and present) O.S.I., San Francisco Bay, GSL and ArtemiaUSA brands and have not gotten under 24 hours at 80 degrees. Would love to know your secret

As for reusing the water, maybe we are starting out with different water. My water here in FL is hard and alkaline and the only reason I restart is to get rid of the open shells. There is no smell to my water.
As for decapsulated, I have alway found it easier and more successful to get newly free swimming Betta fry to eat live swimming foods ( whether infusoria or BBS). I'm not sure they would know what to do with a non motion food. Decapsulated should work once the fry are more into the feeding pattern tho.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way but there are 13 pics in that album. 10 are of fish, 2 are of fish in bowls/jars and 1 is of a system and you can't tell which one I meant? You really might want to reconsider breeding these fish
Oh dde33sorry lol I was looking in the "breeding bettas" album... I'm assuming it's the one below it then :P the bettas are fine right next to each other?

Edit: my emoji didn't work
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post
Oh dde33sorry lol I was looking in the "breeding bettas" album... I'm assuming it's the one below it then :P the bettas are fine right next to each other?

Edit: my emoji didn't work
Yes, the Album marked BETTAS
As for being next to each other, there is documentation to the effect that the fish can actually stress themselves to death by overexurtion trying to get to the neighboring male. That's why I use cardboard between bowls and colored plexi for the dividers.

( So what did you think of some of my Bettas? I really loved my Delta Blue with the double tail gene )
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Yes, the Album marked BETTAS
As for being next to each other, there is documentation to the effect that the fish can actually stress themselves to death by overexurtion trying to get to the neighboring male. That's why I use cardboard between bowls and colored plexi for the dividers.

( So what did you think of some of my Bettas? I really loved my Delta Blue with the double tail gene )
Ok thanks. Lol

Yeah your bettas are really pretty hard to choose a fav! I really like the totally blue one and the green double tail... And the crown tail... And the first picture and like all of them. Lol I hope I can breed some nice ones. I'm going to probably get my first one or two pairs off aquabid and go from there.

Tags
brine shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com