Curious platy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mom had a coloration that was yellow on the midsection, red near to the tail and black fins. The dad had a coloration that was blue in the midsection, orange in the rest of the body and it was a Mickey Mouse platy

You should call your fry the rainbow batch. Lol. The only color missing is violet I think. Those are some colorful parents btw. :D

Yeah there awesome, to make them have those colors I had to breed the generations before them with different varieties of platys.

Here is a thing I've noticed. I do have three female blue Mickey Mouse platys but the males don't seem to recognise them as their own species so I've had nothing from them! They chase my yellow platy and my black one but completely leave the blues alone. I got them specifically so the males would stop harassing the existing females so much but it's not seemed to have worked. Maybe I need a blue male too.

Here is a thing I've noticed. I do have three female blue Mickey Mouse platys but the males don't seem to recognise them as their own species so I've had nothing from them! They chase my yellow platy and my black one but completely leave the blues alone. I got them specifically so the males would stop harassing the existing females so much but it's not seemed to have worked. Maybe I need a blue male too.

Huh. Maybe one of the blue females somehow had one baby? Yeah, maybe you should get one male Mickey Mouse platy so you will have more blue babies. :)

Huh. Maybe one of the blue females somehow had one baby? Yeah, maybe you should get one male Mickey Mouse platy so you will have more blue babies. :)

Yeah although this was definitely yellow Mama's baby. I'm 100% sure of it. I will pick one up. Maybe he'll show the other boys what they're missing.

Yeah although this was definitely yellow Mama's baby. I'm 100% sure of it. I will pick one up. Maybe he'll show the other boys what they're missing.

Lol. Hopefully the new male will do that! XD. When do you plan to get it?

Ironically, I had a drop that was full of babies colored like the "colorless with the stripe", except my fry had multiple stripes. Any where from two stripes, all the way up to five stripes per side! In the same drop, out of about 25 fry, I had three that were pale yellow with black fins and lips. The yellow are actually my favorite platy fry! They are a couple months old now and sexing out. Sadly the stripes do go away, at least mine did. The will start to get a blue to green tint masking over the stripes. :) I thought it was ironic that our drops held the same color genetics but with a different ratio. I'm currently at work, but I will for sure post pics of my fry in the morning! And there was a fourth yellow fry that came in the next drop who has a black tail, black lips but "it's" top fun is red. :) they came out of a blue female platy crossed with my red wag male. There were also some light orange fry with a green shimmer masking the orange.

Actually, blue platy are fairly common. The most common type would be a Blue Mickey Mouse Platy, and another neat type is a Blue Polkadot Platy. At least, that's what it was labeled as at my LFS ;)

Actually, blue platy are fairly common. The most common type would be a Blue Mickey Mouse Platy, and another neat type is a Blue Polkadot Platy. At least, that's what it was labeled as at my LFS ;)

I feel my blue MM platys are of poor stock though. They were quite small when I got them, and now my own fry have already outgrown the smallest one. There's something not right with them, they breathe rapidly too. Just them. No-one else, and my water params are excellent. I doubt I'll have fry from them somehow.
It's the stripe I was more curious about (though the blue colour was a surprise as there are no blue males in my tank).

Ironically, I had a drop that was full of babies colored like the "colorless with the stripe", except my fry had multiple stripes. Any where from two stripes, all the way up to five stripes per side! In the same drop, out of about 25 fry, I had three that were pale yellow with black fins and lips. The yellow are actually my favorite platy fry! They are a couple months old now and sexing out. Sadly the stripes do go away, at least mine did. The will start to get a blue to green tint masking over the stripes. :) I thought it was ironic that our drops held the same color genetics but with a different ratio. I'm currently at work, but I will for sure post pics of my fry in the morning! And there was a fourth yellow fry that came in the next drop who has a black tail, black lips but "it's" top fun is red. :) they came out of a blue female platy crossed with my red wag male. There were also some light orange fry with a green shimmer masking the orange.

Definitely watching out for your pictures! That's a shame the stripe fades away, it looks so unusual!

I have heard of blue Mickey Mouse platy but never heard of blue polkadot platy. My lfs usually only carries orange, yellow, red, and black finned platies. Rarely see blue ones come in. :(

I have heard of blue Mickey Mouse platy but never heard of blue polkadot platy. My lfs usually only carries orange, yellow, red, and black finned platies. Rarely see blue ones come in. :(

I think the blue polkadot platys are the ones like the blue adult platy in the pic i posted

Definitely watching out for your pictures! That's a shame the stripe fades away, it looks so unusual!

Here are the pictures. The stripes used to be more visible. And as you can see as they get older the stripes fade more and more as the blue become more visible.

Sorry about the quality. I've also attached some of my yellow fry and one other light orange fry that came from that drop.

Attachments

• image-3206668734.jpg
    image-3206668734.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image-663947080.jpg
    image-663947080.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1755508386.jpg
    image-1755508386.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3264678063.jpg
    image-3264678063.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1549578940.jpg
    image-1549578940.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1682349160.jpg
    image-1682349160.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3842100483.jpg
    image-3842100483.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 84
Here are the pictures. The stripes used to be more visible. And as you can see as they get older the stripes fade more and more as the blue become more visible.

Sorry about the quality. I've also attached some of my yellow fry and one other light orange fry that came from that drop.

Oh he has grown up to be beautiful! You are lucky to have gotten a blue platy they are a rare find in my pet stores :) i love the little yellow and black.. especially love his lipstick lol

Here are the parents to the fry. The blue Mickey Mouse is the mother and the tiny red wag was the father. Sorry about the water, I had put a piece of drift wood in that had cured yet... Beginner mistake.

Attachments

• image-4099667222.jpg
    image-4099667222.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 79
Here are the parents to the fry. The blue Mickey Mouse is the mother and the tiny red wag was the father. Sorry about the water, I had put a piece of drift wood in that had cured yet... Beginner mistake.

The water isn't too bad. If it was bad, the water would be a lot yellower. So the driftwood hasn't been soaked/boiled? What kind of driftwood is it?

Wow! Nice fish you have there! :). In pic 1, you can still kinda see the stripes. Pic 12 is a very nice specimen! Very yellow and not too many pale spots. (y)

I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner! They are gorgeous, and aside from the Mickey Mouse pattern on the tail of your blue one, your fry are identical to mine! I've just this minute noticed that in my most recent batch (2weeks old), I have another blue one with the stripe. The rest are like your yellow wags. I've noticed my yellow ones have a blue sheen around their middles too. You? Thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom